𝗧𝗛𝗥𝗘𝗘

"It's the unexpected that changes your life"
-Unknown-

"A minute 23 for Maya and A minute 32 for JJ" Cruz states as Maya and JJ come to a stop after jogging

"A minute 23 for Maya and A minute 32 for JJ" Cruz states as Maya and JJ come to a stop after jogging. Maya breathes heavily as she bends down and takes a drink of water from the fountain.

"Helps when someone is chasing me" JJ declares as she tries catching her breath tiredly before Cruz takes a drink from the fountain after Maya was done.

"Still faster than you" Maya states as she gives JJ a high five before letting out an airy laugh. "We should do this every morning" Cruz states and Maya shakes her head, "Don't say it like that" Maya says as she leans her head back and wipes the sweat off of her forehead.

"Yeah, we really, uh, we really shouldn't meet like this. Any of us" JJ declares as she looks between Maya and Cruz. "We work together, JJ. I promise no one will think this is weird" Maya states crossing her arms over her chest as she talks with Cruz and JJ.

"She's right though cause, uh, we have to talk about some things" Cruz states as he leans closer to Maya and JJ.

"Want to grab breakfast?" Cruz asks and Maya sighs as she looks around at her surroundings. "Not really, no, I think I'm going to run home" Maya states honestly as she checks her phone in her back pocket.

"That's like 5 miles" Cruz states and Maya shrugs her shoulders. "I bet I can do it in 10 minutes" Maya says as she starts running in place until she runs off and begins her journey home.

_____

Maya arrives at the BAU, freshly showered and dressed, her hair in a high slick back ponytail. "Good morning" Derek says as Maya enters the room and takes a seat next to him. "Hello" Maya greets before Garcia quickly gives the rundown of the recent case.

The incident happened in Baltimore and involved the stumbling guy having a dual lobotomy. The team talks a little about the history of the procedure, and how it was used to 'cure' people of mental disorders.

The guy has a neat little spike hole next to each eye, so the lobotomy was probably done with one of those old-fashioned spike and hammer kit.

"Excuse me, Agent Hotchner. Agent Cruz is here" One of the other agents says in the doorway and both JJ and Maya lift their head as Mateo Cruz walks through the door and immediately locks eyes with the two of them. Maya raises her eyebrows in shock as Hotch introduces him as the new Unit Section Chief.

Maya and JJ swiftly lock eyes before both liking down at the case file in front of them and pretend not to know him before he invites himself along to work the case with them as a way for everyone to get to know each other.

Maya and JJ take longer to gather their things and wait for the rest of the team to exit the conference room before they stand to their feet and look to Cruz in disbelief. "You're kidding, right?" Maya asks even though she already knows the answer.