Parenthood

All was quiet. Everyone was asleep. Until a man called Kevin Brant got up from bed. He went out of his room and down the stairs. The fridge was open, and he didn't need to know who was poking around. Sarah Kyle, the mentally youngest of everyone in the share house. 

                       Sarah was a dear and beloved by everyone. She was 22, but acted like she was 9 years old. The way she talked, behaved, mimicked that of a small child. She would pout when she didn't get her way, and always wore her hair in two braids, except for when she slept. She looked like she was 12, and enjoyed the attention in the house. But recently she became more mature, and often worked, spent alone time in her room, or watched TV in the living room.

                       Kevin turned on the light, walked over to the fridge, and whispered, "You need a snack too?" "I'm looking for milk, I forgot to drink some tonight, can't sleep without it." she muttered. Kevin smiled. Classic Sarah Kyle. She suddenly perked up. "Did you hear that?" she asked. Kevin shook his head. Sarah walked over to the door and opened it to find a baby in a box, sleeping soundly.

                     Written on a note on the box was, "Her name is Kendra, we will be back for her.". Confused, they took the baby in. Everyone in the shared house was surprised the next day. But they all agreed to parent the baby. Though many of them had raised children before, the only person who had experience with a baby was Sarah Kyle, and that was a baby doll. 

                     Years passed, and Kendra's parents still never came for her. At school, Kendra heard her classmates talk about their parents, some one mother and one father, had two mothers, or two fathers, or just one mother, or just one father. Some lived with their aunts and uncles, or their grandparents. When they asked about Kendra's parents, she would proudly say, "I have 4 mommies and 4 daddies!" the children would gasp in awe. 

                   Everyone would take turns taking care of Kendra. Sarah was in charge of educating her on morals and etiquette. One time one of the mothers Cherry Hills patted Sarah's head with her hand fan while Sarah was demonstrating how to flick one open. Sarah pulled a face. "Kevin! Cherry is being mean to me!" she whined, as Kevin took Sarah's fan and gently patted Cherry's head. 

                     Cherry laughed. "So remember Kendra, if someone is giving you trouble, just tell Daddy Kevin and he'll help you fix it." Kevin laughed, "More like go find Dadda Brandon, he's the problem solver.".

                    When Kendra got accepted into secondary school, the women of the house set together a plan, and shooed the men out to keep Kendra busy. They had lunch at Kendra's favourite fast food place, and when they got home, they were greeted with a surprise. Everyone had banded together to get Kendra a giant fluffy teddy bear. Kendra squealed in delight. 

                    As everyone watched Minions on the TV, there was a knock at the door. A young woman who looked to be in her late 30s. "Hi, how can we help you?" asked Cherry. "Excuse me, I believe I left my child here, Kendra?" the woman replied. Cherry let her in and after Kendra's mother had left her behind for personal reasons, Kendra was introduced to her birth mother.

                     "Your daddy will be so excited to see you!" Kendra's mother said. And they met each other right after. Kendra now stayed a month each at both the shared house and her birth parents' house. When asked how she felt about two more parents in her life, she would say, "Well, I've had 8 parents, what's 2 more?".