A flash of dark brown tumbled into Embry, slamming him down. I watched as they snared at each other, snapping. The sound of a gurgled scream shifts my focus on the man.

I run to him quickly, looking over his body. His jacket was torn, showing three long gashes had been dug from his shoulder down to his stomach. The bright pink flesh bled profusely with no signs of stopping. I look down to see his mangled leg, which seemed to be held together by mere tendons. The man's face was growing paler and paler by the second. A light trail of blood began leaking from the corner of his mouth.

He was running out of time.

"C-can you stand?" I ask, bending down.

We wouldn't be able to make it to the doctors, but Carlisle could help. One of the Cullens had to be there.

"Come on, you have to move!" I yell desperately, grabbing ahold of his arms.

I don't know how conscious he still was, but he didn't do much to help. Finally, I grabbed under his arms and started to drag him. My muscles were burning, but I knew our only chance was across the border. I had to hurry if there was a chance left.

Even without attempting to lift him, the weight of dragging his body was almost too much. His leg drained a steady crimson stream towards the viscous lake where the attack occurred. Every push, every inch was a battle as we neared the border. The hunter limply shook his head, showing some life barely there.

"CARLISE, ROSALIE!" I scream. As we finally pass the tree.

"EMMETT, HELP ME. I NEED HELP." I scream out.

"I can't. I can't," He mumbles out.

My body refuses to pull anymore, so I quickly lay him flat on the ground. I hastily take off my brown jacket to press on the wounds. The warm flesh gave way more than it should. I glance at the man looking for any reaction. The only indication I received was glazed pupils that vaguely followed my movement.

"Just hold on for me, okay," I said shakily.

"HELP!" I scream out louder, ignoring the burning in my throat.

"Luke," the man gurgles from a mouthful of blood.

I look down at the man, a resemblance clicking. "Are you Mr. Jacobsen?" I asked

He shakily nods his head at me. "Luke, I'm sorry-." his voice weakly trails off as his pale face freezes, only highlighted by the bright red trail streaming down his chin, pooling over the bloody leather jacket that wrapped him.

" No. No, your gonna be okay. Just hold on, okay," I said. Mr.Jacobsen won't die. He'll be fine. He's gonna be okay. I'll fix it.

"Madi, are you hurt," Edwards's voice broke out. He stood a few feet away from me, staring at the scene.

"Change him, please just change him." Shakily say, wiping my cheek.

Edward didn't budge from my request. He only stayed still, his eyes fixated on Mr.Jacobsen's dying form.

"Edward ch- "

"No." He said, voice voided of emotions.

My heart dropped from the answer. I glance down at Jacobsen, noticing his movements are becoming slower. This was his only chance.

"Why? Save him now!" I demanded.

His life shouldn't end so shortly because of me. He could become a vampire. I could give him a new life, or at least an option to choose death.

"It's too risky, the treaty-"

" I don't care. I said do it now!" I yelled.

I wasn't going to let him die. Jacobsen didn't do anything. He was only trying to ensure I was safe. He was innocent. I can't let him die because of me; I refuse to.

"I'm sorry," Edward said stiffly before disappearing.

"Come back right now!" I yelled.

No, this can't be happening.

"Edward!"

I can't let this happen.

"Rosalie!"

I feel Jacobsen tap my hand "Luke."

"Shhh, it's okay," I say shakily, crawling towards his head to place it in my lap.

His head shakes against my lap as his ragged gasp turns into choking gurgles. I grab one of his hands, rubbing small circles on its back.

"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry," I cry out.

"Luke," he gurgles, blood spilling from his mouth.

"He'll be okay. Luke will be okay," I whisper, staring into his eyes.

Mr.Jacobsen looks up, his every breath becoming slower than the last. His shakes seized as he took his last breath.

"Luke is gonna be okay." I reaffirmed, giving his limp hand a squeeze.

Jacobsen's eyes became dull with a milky haze. There were no more shakes. No more gurgles. The constant blood spewing out finally seized.

Mr. Jacobsen was dead.