Chapter 2

Zaviar

It was hard to image that one's whole life can be thrown into boxes

It was hard to image that one's whole life can be thrown into boxes. But that was the current state of Zavier's, the boxes crowded his grandmother small and dusty guestroom. After a long night of tossing and turning he decided to just get up and try to get some kind o organization going to make the most of the small space. He flips through the box containing his letterman jacket, medals, and other trinkets that were remnants of his basketball career. He sighs heavily at the championship ring that glistens on a dainty gold chain. He almost forgot that she'd returned it to him before she skipped town. A dull ache of pain clenched his heart, and he has to place the jewelry back in the box before terrible memories overwhelm him. Laying back against his bed he feels his sheets vibrate, and searches blindly for his phone, groaning at the annoyingly loud voice of his cousin.

"Zay get your big ass out of that bed!" He looks at his bedside clock alarmed at the fact that she was this chipper at 10 in the morning.

"Demi how the fuck are you this loud and hyper after all the drinking you did last night?"

"The best way, I just never stopped drinking. Can't get a hangover if there's no delay for it to kick in." With a chuckle he gets up putting her on speaker so he can brush his teeth.

"Why are you calling me so early? I though we didn't have plans until later on tonight." She shuffles around obviously in the dump truck she calls a car from sound of wraps crunching.

"Yeah, we did but I have to go save Arturo from his crazy ass girlfriends hoes and you know her racist ass brothers showed up and whooped his ass the last time that got into it. I don't need round two of that so I'm picking you and Marco up." He chuckled at the thought of his Marco fighting anyone. But he was going support his cousins none the less.

"I'll be ready in five minutes. And don't just pull into the yard actually come say hi to granny."

"Why so she can call me a mutt again. To be so Pro black our grandmother sure likes to throw around casual racism and yall play it off as an age thing. Whole time I'm blacker than her beige ass." Mumbling a goodbye through his poorly suppressed laughter he hurriedly gets dressed. It was no secret that Denise Brooks didn't support interracial relationships so the fact that her eldest son went to Panama for work and returned with a pregnant fiancée didn't do much to make her outlook on them better. twenty-five years and three kids later she still hadn't forgiven his uncle Dre for what she saw as betrayal. And the constant disrespect of his aunt Malaak did nothing but strain her relationship with her other grandchildren, especially Demi. He slips on his shoes and heads to the living room, confused on the argument that was taking place.

"I told that brother of yours that messing with that white girl would leave him in a world of trouble. But I can't tell yall nothing without yall thinking I'm racist."

"Granny you are racist! Even if your observations are true why do you think we're so quick to dismiss you? You treat your own family different just because we're Latin."