Vol. 5: Chapter 1.1 - The School Sports Festival

Start from the beginning

"Whoa... Seriously? We're doing that...?" muttered Ike.

He wasn't the only one with this sentiment, though. A lot of us probably thought that the school would pit all four classes against one another, just like the first two written exams and the first two special exams. The class would need to create a new strategy that factors cooperation out in the open. 

Not only that... We'd also have to cooperate with students from other year levels.

"Doesn't this make you happy?" I asked.

"I would appreciate it if you refrain from talking about that here," she warned.

I almost skipped the "warned" part and went straight to the "attacked" part. The tip of her pencil shook like a cornered rattlesnake and I didn't want to be on the receiving end of it.

While fearing for my life, I flipped the page over and saw the general rules and mechanics for the event.

Sports Festival Rules and Team Division

The sports festival divides all students, across all grade levels, into two teams: Red and White: The breakdown goes as follows: Classes A and D are on the Red Team, while Class B and C are on the White Team.

Point Allocation for All Competitors (Individual Competitions)

Points will be allocated as follows: 

- 1st place will be awarded 15 points
- 2nd place will be awarded 12 points
- 3rd place will be awarded 10 points
- 4th place will be awarded 8 points

1 point will be deducted for coming in fifth place, and one additional point will be subtracted for each place below that. 

During a team competition, the winning team will be awarded 500 points.

Point Allocation for Recommended Competitors

Points will be allocated as follows:

- 1st place will be awarded 50 points
- 2nd place will be awarded 30 points
- 3rd place will be awarded 15 points
- 4th place will be awarded 10 points

2 points will be deducted for coming in fifth place, and two additional points will be subtracted for each place below that. 

The final competition, the Relay Race, will offer three times the point values.

Red Team vs. White Team Outcome

After reviewing the combined overall score for each class, 100 class points will be deducted from the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd-year batches of the two classes on the losing team.

The Effect of Ranking by Grade Level

50 class points will be awarded to the class that scores the highest and achieves 1st place in each of the three grade levels. Classes that achieve 2nd place in their grade level will not see any changes to their class point totals. Classes that achieve 3rd place in their grade level will have 50 class points deducted, and classes that achieve 4th place will have 100 class points deducted.

"Um, Sensei, how many points does the winning team get? That doesn't appear to be written anywhere," said Hirata.