Chapter 1

-Alex-

I stood outside the sterile building and looked up at the height of it. I thought about the amount of people this place could take,

Hundreds?

Thousands?

So many people that, right now, could be dying. It made me feel a little uneasy as I thought about the sheer amount of humans that could be inside. People who need somebody to be there for them yet probably had nobody. It made me upset that I had an entire pack and many of these patients didn't have a single person left for them.

I sighed and walked into the building through its revolving glass doors with the bunch of small roses I had in my hand. I walked up to the front desk and cleared my throat.

"Alex! I was wondering if you would be in today." smiled Julia, the receptionist sat at the desk.

"Hey, I just wanted to come and say hi and give you one of these before I go on my rounds" I smiled and handed her a small rose.

I saw her blush as she took it and put it into the vase next to her computer.

"It's lovely, thank you" she smiled and I nodded before going on my way.

I could tell that Julia liked me, in fact, she had told me she did already but I wasn't interested. Don't get me wrong, she's a lovely girl and any guy would be lucky to have her but... she isn't for me. She isn't my mate. She was a good friend to have at the hospital though because it was always nice to see a smiling face when you walked through the door.

As I wandered through the hallways I felt the unnecessary urge to throw up due to the sheer, overpowering scent of chemicals. You'd think after doing this every week for months my werewolf senses would be used to it but no.

I'm not really the conventional type of werewolf. Most werewolves like to take care of their pack and nobody else because family means more than anything to us in this world but I wanted to take it a step further. I knew about all of these defenceless humans in hospital who had nobody and it made me sad to see them so alone, so every week I come to this hospital and go around to the wards with the patients that don't seem to have anybody with them.

I visit the coma patients mainly because some of them are in here for months. I like to sit with them and try and comfort them although that's difficult to do when the person you're speaking to is practically unconscious. I usually put fresh flowers in their vases so if they wake up they have something nice to look at.

I sound like a girl but I know that comas can lead your mind to dark places and so the flowers might brighten up the dull hospital room.

I walked my route, saying hello to the regular patients I saw and giving them all a fresh rose for their vases and I then made my journey to the coma ward.

The coma ward was always a little different. It was darker and quieter than your regular hospital ward and void of most human activity other than the odd family member bustling about.

I visited all the usual people when I got to a door at the end of the corridor with a different name on it. I didn't recognise it and I frowned a little.

"M. Johnson"

I carefully placed my hand on the handle and cautiously walked into the silent room. There was nobody in there except for the patient and I relaxed a little before closing the door behind myself. I walked over to the bed to put flowers in their bedside vase when I froze completely.

Lying peacefully in the bed was a girl of around 19. She had long black hair and a face that seemed to be perfectly carved. Her lips were full and her nose was small and button-like. Her eyes were closed and she looked more like sleeping beauty than a coma patient. Her face was covered in scratches and bruises and there was a deep cut in her arm. I felt my wolf growl a little when he saw it.