"Get up!" Luke demanded.

I threw a pillow at him. "Get out."

Luke caught the pillow and threw it back at me. Then, as eleven-year-old boys do, he plopped himself onto my bed, giving me the death stare until I finally got up.

"Happy now?" I asked, finally on my feet and sticking my tongue out at him.

He grinned. "Very." Finally, Luke shot up and trotted out of my room.

I stared at my closet. If I didn't start getting ready, both Mom and my brother would kill me. I threw on a pale purple sweatshirt and jean shorts.

I had tried to get out of this, but nothing worked. Mom anticipated all my tactics and even Dad wouldn't budge. I tried to lift my spirits by telling myself it wouldn't be that bad.

Maybe once I actually saw the ocean, it wouldn't be so scary anymore.

Maybe.

I had this nasty habit of lying to myself.

**

The entire two-hour car ride was Mom and Luke raving about how fun this trip was going to be. Dad was optimistic too, but certainly not as vocal about it. I didn't have much to contribute to the conversation, so I closed my eyes and went to sleep.

Eventually, the car hit a bump in the road and my head bounced off the car door. I woke up from the sharp pain.

"There it is! That's the ship! It's huge!" Luke screamed blissfully.

I looked out the window to see the ocean expanding before me. A shiver ran down my spine. It was never-ending. I almost didn't notice the giant cruise ship bobbing on top of the water with tiny, ant-like figures running across the decks.

Would I die if I jumped out of the car?

Mom was in awe, not even blinking as she studied the boat. "Isn't it just amazing?" she marveled. "What do you think, Marjo?"

I shrugged, barely even glancing at it. "It's fine, I guess." I wasn't sure she even heard my answer.

The real fear didn't kick in until we started approaching the boat. In the ample time it took to actually board it, my panic was rising.

Something could go wrong at any moment. I contemplated making a break back to the car, going to the "bathroom" and never coming back, or faking a horrible, infectious disease that would conveniently bar me from boarding the boat.

But we were already here. There was no point in going back now. It would be futile. My Mom would know.

My heart hammered faster in my chest and I grabbed onto Dad's arm for support. He automatically threw a friendly arm around my shoulders. I shut my eyes and let him lead me blindly up the ramp that was suspended over the water. Only when we were standing firm in the middle of the boat did I dare open my eyes. I let out the breath I was holding and looked around.

Twin staircases, rails wrapped in gold, led from the lobby up to another level. The floor was carpeted in some ornate pattern. People milled around the endless hallways and rooms, exploring, discovering. I didn't have time to be excited about it.

I was too busy trying to make sure I didn't puke.

It was nearly 4 PM already, and the first thing we did was drop off our suitcases in our room.

It's tiny, I thought, but Dad assured me that we'd only be in here to sleep. We'd spend most of our time doing the supposed plethora of activities available to us on the boat.