"mattie.." eddie said softly. "talk to me."

turning her head to the left, she tried to steady her breathing, avoiding looking at eddie, because she knew if she did, she would end up falling apart. she shook her head firmly. "i can't."

"yes, you can," he told her, grabbing her hand from across the table.

taking a deep inhale, she turned to face him. "sorry, i'm just emotional. it's been, uh, two months today since.. you know."

"oh, shit. it has," eddie said, recalling the date. "how are you doing?"

matilda forced a smile, though she could feel a ball forming at the back of her throat. "perfectly fine."

eddie stood up from his place opposite her and walked around so he was stood in front of her. "stand up," he said to her.

the girl did what he said, and the height difference was noticeable as she stared up at him and he looked down at her lovingly. he wiped a stray tear that had escaped her eye with his thumb, and tucked a piece of hair behind her ear.

"can i hug you?" he asked softly. "is that okay?"

chewing on the inside of her mouth, the blonde hesitated for a moment, before nodding slowly.

he gently pulled her to his chest, wrapping her arms around her and encasing her in his warmth.

and the second she felt the safety of his arms around her, she broke down crying.

he began hushing her, stroking the back of her head with his hand. "it's okay. i've got you, princess."

matilda tried to pull back. "i'm going to get mascara on your top," she told him through soft sobs.

he pulled her back in, holding her closer than before. "i don't care about a mascara stain, i care about you," he whispered against her forehead.

they stood like that for a few minutes, finding comfort in the other. eventually, tillie's breaths began to pace as she started to calm down.

she pulled away from the embrace, and eddie took her face in his hands to wipe away the excess tears.

"you want to go get milkshakes?" he asked quietly.

tillie let out a light laugh. "what?"

"milkshakes. my treat," he smiled.

matilda looked back at the scrapbook that lay on the table. "uh.."

"we can do it another time," eddie told her. "we've got plenty of time to finish it. right now, i think you need a chocolate and peanut butter milkshake to boost your mood."

"i need to be back to drive chrissy home," tillie said in response.

eddie lifted up his left wrist, reading his watch. "we have an hour. that's enough time to get a milkshake and get back here. what do you say?"

the girl smiled and nodded. "okay."

📻🪐🏹

MATILDA, eddie munson.On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara