39

-Aster James-

Somehow, I survived.

Without her.

Somehow I was able to sit at a table with my parents and eat a meal, drink water.

Breathe.

I was capable of doing that for a whole week.

Then her father finally let me visit.

She's been in a coma for more than a week, and even just seeing her with her eyes closed, it's easier for me to breathe now.

It was still a little early. Only about 6:00. Her dad had let me stay a few nights.

"I know that whatever I try to do," he says, "There is no way I can keep her from loving you. Because either way, she will always find a way."

He gave me a sad smile before patting my back and turning out the door.

I've been home once.

If it wasn't for Corina and JJ coming this morning, I would be on day 2 without a shower and fresh pair of clothes.

But I'm here again. The sun setting on the other side of the window, and me holding her hand.

Corina is slumped in a chair on the other side of the room.

Her dad just outside of the room talking to some of the doctors.

JJ had to leave about an hour ago. Something about his sister needing help with moving some stuff.

He said he'd be back around 10 to sleepover.

I don't feel the same. I feel broken.

I feel guilty.

I shouldn't have let her do the race. Not with Kate at least. I knew what she was capable of but... shooting someone?

Shooting her?

I'm glad her bail cost more than a Kardashians monthly paycheck.

They haven't started the trial. Which is usually the case for most.

It's unpredictable when they will start, because they want Evren to testify.

But she hasn't even woken up.

All I know is that something went wrong with her surgery, and they had to put her in a medically induced coma.

When I asked the nurse why, she just said, "Doctor Howard won't tell anyone except for the people Ms. Black knows. Something about her mothers death."

That made me break even more.

I asked this Dr. Howard, and just keeps looking me up and down. "Look kid, I'm not sure what you know about her, but I've known her since she was born, and if her dad hasn't told you, then I'm definitely not. Doctor-patient confidentiality."

I slumped my shoulders.

The machine next to me had a steady rhythm.

She's alive.

I keep telling myself.

She's alive, she will wake up.

"Please wake up." I whisper, bringing her hand to my mouth and kissing it.

But I stopped. I was frozen.

"Corina." I whispered, not taking my eyes off my girl, "Corina, wake up!" I say a little louder.

She groans, "What?"

I'm still watching Evren. Her eyes start to move frantically.

I felt her hand move.