27

Adriana

"So, Adriana. Your chances of becoming pregnant are lowering."

"Why is that?" I ask

"You're losing eggs too quickly. Good news is there's no signs that you'll have complications during a pregnancy or birth. You may just have trouble conceiving," the doctor tells me

The doctor keeps talking, but I zone out.

Some words sneak in like "You'll be more lucky before you turn 40," " Menopause will probably be early," "It's best to start now."

I don't realize the appointments over until Damien's hand leaves mine and rubs my back.

"We should go get some food,"  Damien suggests, helping me put on my jacket.

"I'm not hungry," I shake my head. "I wanna go home and lay in bed and do nothing."

"What about shopping? We can go to Dior and get you a new purse," He grabs my hands and holds them.

"Ok," I nod

We leave the doctors office and head to Damien's car. It's the end of March so it's slowly getting warmer.

Today's a bit gloomy and chilly. It's my favourite weather when I'm in a good mood.

Today, it just matches my mood.

During the car ride to the store, Damien holds my hand, but doesn't say anything. I don't think he knows what to say.

When we get to the store, we're greeted by staff. They take us towards the purses, but I can't help but notice some of the baby clothes.

I imagine what it would be like to buy clothes for a new born. The feeling of joy and excitement.

"Gorgeous... Why don't we get something for the princess? A matching purse," Damien offers

"Yeah. Can we get something for the boys too?" I ask

"Whatever you'd like," Damien smiles at me and holds out his hand. I take it and we look at the purses and clothes.

Seeing Damien's smile reminds me that everything's gonna be alright. As long as I have him, everything will be alright.

I pick out two purses each for me and Flavia and a couple of shirts for the boys.

"Wanna go anywhere else?" Damien asks as we put the bags in the trunk of his car

"Not really," I shake my head

"Ok. That's fine," he says, before his phone rings. Damien opens the passenger door for me while answering his phone.

"Carvelli," he closes the door when I get in and goes to the driver side. "Ok... Is she still crying?.. ok...I understand, I'll be there in a few."

"What happened?" I ask

"Flavia is having a meltdown... First she was asking for Ethan, they brought Ethan to the class. But she wouldn't stop crying and now they say she's asking for you."

______________

When Damien and I get to the classroom, we hear crying. We already know it's Flavia's.

Damien knocks on the door and it immediately opens.

"Thank you for coming," the teacher says

"Adriana!" I look behind the teacher and see Flavia running towards me.

"What's wrong, Princess?" I bend down and catch her in my arms.

She holds onto me tightly, like she's scared.