the next morning, a range of emotions were present in the household. anger, shock, disbelief, proudness.

after matilda's outburst the previous night, the rest of the family departed to their bedrooms. no dinner was eaten and no more words were said.

"good morning, matilda," her mother smiled sweetly, a hidden anger in her tone. "sleep well?"

matilda saw the look of determination present on her mother's face, and could tell the woman was desperate to prove what her daughter had said the night prior was not true.

"like a baby," matilda said with a smug grin.

she actually had slept pretty well in comparison to previous nights, but had woken up a few times in paranoia that her mother would slaughter her in her sleep.

"well, i sure hope you did," her mother sneered, teeth gritting together. "breakfast?"

tillie shook her head. "nope, we better get moving. don't want to disappoint the family name more by being late to school, do we?"

chrissy stood up, taking one final sip of her orange juice, before following her sister out of the house.

they arrived at matilda's car and got inside, and chrissy finally spoke up.

"what you did last night was incredible," she stated. "mother is obviously furious, but it was pretty.."

"petty?"

"awesome," chrissy clarified. "it was pretty awesome. i love when you get these bursts of confidence and self-defense, tils."

"thanks, chris."

📻🪐🏹

FEBRUARY 8TH, 1996
📍hawkins high school
8:27 AM

exiting the girls restroom, matilda made her way to her locker to see if she had any pills in there. she'd started her period, the first she'd gotten in months, which meant cramps.

she saw eddie waiting at her locker and sighed in annoyance. ignoring him, she began putting in her code. she unlocked the door and began searching around for a pill bottle, finding some ibuprofen in the back corner.

"so, when do you want to start working on the history assignment? we only have a month, so.." he asked, trying to make casual conversation, as matilda took the pill. "i was thinking, since you like drawing we could- are you okay?" he eyed the pill bottle in her hands.

"fine," she said blankly, closing her locker. "didn't i tell you to leave me alone?"

"well, yeah.."

"then what?" the blonde hissed. "do you want me to spell it out for you? l e a v.."

"okay, i get it," eddie sighed in defeat.

"good," matilda replied, walking away.

she received a few stares as she walked through the corridors, due to her interaction with eddie 'the freak' munson, but paid no attention to them as she headed to her first class, drowning out the principals voice on the speaker.

"attention, students. a reminder that there is a basketball game this friday, between our own tigers and the bulls from bournemouth academy! i hope to see you all supporting our team.."

📻🪐🏹

mattie, our stubborn & petty queen 💅

i feel like the star of this book is tillie's locker 😭
i swear it's literally in every chapter lmao

anyways the next few chapters ;))

once matiddie is back, be prepared for the amount of fluff. literally have so many cute scenes planned i'm so excited ahh

no because i didn't even plan on them ever breaking up?? i was literally writing chapter seven and it just kind of happened????

<3

WORD COUNT — 1069.