46

^^Dr.Linda

Yeira's POV

I felt dejected since all my attempts at wooing Hana have failed. I was crisscross on my bed while solving math problems. At least, this helps to distract my mind from the pain I'm feeling in my heart. I was working through a problem deemed impossible, but I was close to finding a solution. Lexi opened the door and stepped towards me. She dumped papers on my bed and glanced up at me.

"The professors want to know who the mysterious math genius is."

"They can keep wondering." I flicked through the solutions and found that I was correct.

"You've found new ways to solve problems that no one has thought about. Why not join the class?"

"A class full of geeks? No thank you." I handed her the finished solution. "Believe I solved that." I walked to the window. "And it's a tight class to get into. They only take the smartest of the smartest. Their cap is 10, so they wouldn't admit another student."

"They would if they knew it's you." Lexi stated. "Why keep your identity secret?"

"I don't want to go to class." I simply stated.

"That's the most Yeira answer ever." Lexi chuckled. "I'll give the professor these papers, but you should seriously think about attending. Oh, and I think he put up a new problem."

"Hmm... I'll check it out later. I'm bored of math right now. Is there something else we can do? Something more stimulating to the mind?"

"Ahh, yes!" Lexi dropped the papers. "Ever played chess?"

"We weren't allowed to at the compound." I sat down as she set up the board. "The council did, but the military didn't. We were required to train and not water down our minds with this." I intently stared at the board as Lexi explained the rules. "This more seems like a game of logic rather than math." I moved a piece.

"Yes. But like math, there are many solutions to a move. You have to constantly adjust your strategy."

"I see." My eyes widened. "This is remarkable. I love this!" I smiled and quickly beat her. "Amazing!"

"Alena and Lara are masters at this. Alec is good as well, but Alena beats both her children a lot." Lexi giggled.

"I must ask her to play with me, then." I played another round with Lexi. "Lex, want to see something cool?" I dove to my desk and grabbed a calculator. "Watch this." My swift fingers typed in multiple equations. "I learned this makes a smiley face." I beamed.

"That's amazing, Yei!" Lexi clapped. "I think you should continue with math as your hobby. Along with chess!"

"Maybe I'll join that nerdy math club." I chuckled. "It'd be interesting to find more complex problems."

"Okie dokie! I'll speak to the professor later."

X

Lexi had gone to speak with the math professor. I got bored and wandered into the empty math room. I found an impossible solution and picked up a marker. I started on one side of the room and slowly made it around. I covered the entire wall with permanent marker as I solved the problem.

"Hey." I looked over my shoulder to see Hana. "Can we talk?"

"A few minutes. I have an idea." I continued with the solution.

"It'll just be a minute."

"I've got it." I spoke to myself. "Watch this, Hana!" I sped to a calculator and typed in multiple equations. "Read it." I tossed it to her as I continued with the problem.