Episode 11: Me, My Shadow, and I (Part 2)

A long, arduous day of trekking Echo Creek's newly minted Earthni status lead to the group of Star, Marco, and Buff Frog finally returning to the Butterfly Castle after a long day. By this point, everyone that had been out and busy with their day had returned to the castle for some much deserved down time. This down time included engaging Miles & Meteora in the most adorable game of peek-a-book ever, regaling in Eclipsa's newly minted memoir, and Moon & River discussing the events of their own class for the day. But these positive thoughts were going to quickly be put on the back burner. There was a knock at the front door, which was quickly followed by the door swinging open, revealing Star, Marco, and Buff Frog standing there. Star, in particular, found herself sternly staring at her loved ones.

"Oh, you're back!" Moon delightedly shouted, which also prompted Miles & Meteora to stop their game and turn to face the teens. "We weren't expecting you so soon." Moon kept a brave face on for a short bit, but as Star, Marco, & Buff Frog gradually approached them, the adults all took note of the stern face Star had on. She had quite the handful of questions she wanted to confront them with, and she wasn't particularly in a jokey mood about it.

"Star!" Miles, on the other hand, she was always in the mood to be light & fluffy with. The boy, holding Meteora's hand, bounced around at Star's feet. The girl lovingly responded by picking them both up & embracing them.

"Hi babies. Did you have a good day with Aunt Eclipsa & Uncle Globgor?"

"Yeah! We played games and we danced!"

"D'aww, you're so precious." She granted them both a kiss before handing them off to their respective parents. It was during this brief respite that the adults all began to grow concerned noting Star's more grounded attitude. She was not in the best of moods at the moment, given what had transpired throughout that day.

"Star, honey, is everything alright?" Eclipsa took the initiative to confront Star's somewhat somber attitude.

"Um, yeah yeah, sure, totally, but..." She hesitated slightly. "I think I have some questions that I could use some answers to."

The stipulation took the ground by surprise, but now wasn't the time to push back. "Of course. Whatever can we help you with?"

"I was just curious, uh...how exactly did this "Shadow Council" thing you have going on come about?" The Butterfly Shadow Council was a subsection of the mayor's political committee that helped weigh in on matters concerning the adjustment from Earth to Earthni, since the Butterfly family was at the heart of the matter that led to the Cleaving. "I mean, I never asked about it because I was falling apart and everything, and nobody really wanted me to get back into the scene too fast, but..."

Admittedly, the adults never saw it appropriate to relay this information to the girl. Given her mental state at the time and her subsequent emotional & physical battles, it was deemed proper to allow her the space she needed to bounce back the way she wanted to. But if Star was adamant about now learning that information, there had to be an adequate reason for it. "Well, it's quite the story, actually..."

==Page Break==

[Flashback]

It was the prior year; Star & Marco were preparing to depart in a taxi for the airport, eager to get a start on their long-awaited, much deserved vacation away from Echo Creek. Both of their adult family members were standing by, preparing to say their farewells. Even now, Star was still apprehensive, afraid that her departure would compromise operations in Echo Creek during the transition. "You know, it's not too late to tell me not to go on this trip." Star said to her mother, almost pleading with her in a twisted vain effort to escape what was a well deserved getaway. "You could always play the "princess responsibilities" card on me and I wouldn't have to argue."