mr dorton began wondering around the room, pointing at the desks and assigning a pair to sit at them. "okay, amber and charles here please, and i want andrew and david here.. maria and claudia at that back table.."

two by two, students began to take their seats, meaning the line at the back got shorter and shorter. now, there were only four people still standing — matilda, richard, isaac and eddie.

"and at this front table, can i have isaac and richard, please," mr dorton said, smiling at the two remaining students. "leaving eddie and matilda sat behind them."

with a small sigh, matilda made her way over to her seat, avoiding all sort of contact with eddie. however, the boy had a slight smirk on his face.

mr dorton watched the two suspected lovers take a sit, noticing how distant they were. his brows furrowed slightly, wondering what had changed in their relationship. last lesson, they didn't communicate either (unless you count eddie staring at her the entire hour whilst matilda kept her head down, that is).

he hoped something good would come out of this. after all, he'd changed a lot of his lesson plans in order to fit this assignment in, just so he could get them partnered up.

clearing his throat, the teacher began speaking again. "so, as you know, since coming back after winter break we've been learning about medicine throughout time. whilst we learn about medicine in world war one and two, i would like you and your partner to make a presentation on all the medical advancements throughout history," he explained. "this can take any format you'd like, but it must be done equally by both you and your partner. you will have a month to complete the assignment."

📻🪐🏹

FEBRUARY 7TH, 1986
📍 hawkins high school
11:32 AM

"yes, claudia?" mr dorton asked the girl.

"sir, i don't understand the question," claudia said, gesturing for him to come over to her.

they were doing a simple activity; answering questions about different sources.

mr dorton sighed, getting up from his desk to go help the girl. whilst he was distracted, matilda whispered, "i can just do it, you know. the assignment. i don't mind."

eddie turned to her. "mr dorton said we both need to equally put effort into it. i can't let you do it all by yourself, i'm afraid," he said, feigning empathy for the girl. "it goes against the rules."

matilda rolled her eyes, though part of her was secretly thrilled he wanted them to work together on the project.
they fell back into the awkward silence they were in prior, until eddie spoke up a few moments later.

"i thought it was awesome what you did, by the way," he told her. "though the asshole deserves a lot more then that."

nodding, matilda tried to not to fall back into bad habits. the bad habit being eddie. if she started talking to him again like they were before, there was no way she could ever push him away again.

"i'm guessing you got a detention for it, though?" eddie continued, waiting for the girl to answer.

she didn't verbally give him a response, but the look on her face was more than enough to confirm his theory.

he thought for a moment, before a bad idea appeared his head. he stood up hastily, and pushed the table forwards, making everyone in the room jump at the bang and look at him.

"mr munson!" the teacher hollered. "wha- why?"

"fuck this, and fuck you," eddie spat, making mr dorton's face grow with anger. a sudden wave of realization took over tillie, as she understood his plan.

"detention, mr munson!" mr dorton told him sternly. "tonight, after school. miss hayfield's classroom. now get out of my sight."

eddie smiled, leaning down to grab his rucksack from the floor. "gladly," he mused, before walking out the class, taking one final glance at matilda.

surprisingly, he had a streak of almost three months without a detention. but it was worth breaking his record it if it meant getting her back.

📻🪐🏹

stan mr dorton 👏

also stan my girl tillie for punching myles
mrs cunningham ain't gonna be happy though 😬

tysm for everyone who is interacting with this story! it's thanks to you that i haven't given up yet like i have with all my other stories (i literally have like over 50 drafts with only a chapter or two written of each lmaoo)
<33

also please comment more i love reading and replying to your guys comments!!

WORD COUNT — 1315.