Chapter 24: Lily's Surprise

Mulai dari awal

"I guess that makes sense." She rests her head on my shoulder like the night before. "When is bonnie meeting us?"

I look at my phone, "About three minutes or so." I raise my hand to play with her strawberry blonde locks.

"Thank you, for everything you've done. I'm appreciative that you are my big sister figure. I love you," she tells me.

I smile. "I love you too."

We sit in silence for a bit, watching the sun rise higher.

"Hey," Bonnie says from behind us. Both of us turn around.

"Hey," I smile at her. "This means a lot, thank you. I will give you the book with the spell and then I'll leave so that it's a bit more private."

I pull out a brown leather book from my messenger bag. I hand it to Bonnie, opened to the page of the spell.

"Pretty simple," Bonnie says. "It should only take about five minutes. You can come back then."

I nod and turn to Lily, who gives me a nod, telling me it's okay to leave. I vamp to my swing in the woods that's 10 minutes away with normal walking.

⇢⇢⇢⇢

I rub my eyes as I get up and check the time on my phone. When I turn around in bed, I don't see Lily. To make sure she's okay, I get up, ready to look for her. When I'm about to exit my room, I see a small note taped to the mirror that is hung on my wall. I walk over and take the note, reading it.

"Thank you, Pen,

I think I need to get out of Mystic Falls. I'm sorry for not letting you know in person, I just couldn't stand saying goodbye to you. I'm heading towards home. I might make a stop in New Orleans since you love it so much. Keep in touch please.

I love you,

Lily"

I immediately run to my closet to get a change of clothes. I grab something comfortable: comfortable wide-leg blue jeans, a brown baggy top, my brown converse, and some accessories. I pull out my phone and text Lily, telling her to not go through New Orleans, but it says it wasn't delivered. I sigh and pack a few bags with some clothes and important stuff at vampire speed.

I vamp-speed downstairs and pack my bags into my convertible before running back inside and to the study where I find the two Salvatores.

"I'm sorry for the last minute notice, but I have to leave to go help Lily. I can't say why, but I don't know how long I'll be there. I just wanted to come say goodbye to you guys. I'll make sure to keep in touch and text everyday," I promise.

Damon speeds to me and wraps me in a hug. "Thank you for visiting, it's made me much happier than I have been, despite the Elena drama."

"Of course. You're my best friend. And remember to really think about how you deserve to be treated. I love you, Day." I pull out of the hug and engulf Stefan in one. "I'll miss you too Stef. I'm so happy I got to see you and that you're realizing what you deserve. I love you."

"I love you too, Penny. Drive safe," he smiles at me.

"Bye, boys." I walk out the door while they call their goodbyes.

Off to New Orleans.

⇢⇢⇢⇢

I arrive in the city I've missed around nightfall and hop out of my car, immediately starting my hunt for Lily. I turn down a more secluded street and see someone laying on the sidewalk. I cautiously approach, only to see the face and body of my best friend. I fall to my knees and check her pulse. I feel none. I hear no heartbeat. I break down.

I quickly pull myself together and pick her up, speeding to a gravesite not too far away. Finding an empty spot, I bury her body, take out my knife, and etch her name, birth and death date on a regular stone. I get up and speed back to my car, not wanting to go back into a dark place like I've done with others I've been close to.

Getting in the driver's seat, I pull out my phone and call Bonnie. "Hello?" She answers.

I take a deep breath, "Hi Bon. Are you alone right now?"

"Yeah, why?"

"Lily is dead and I can't talk about it right now, but I want to know who the baby was supposed so be transferred to so that I can meet them and try to help." I try not to let my voice crack.

"I'm so sorry about Lily, Pen. You won't have to go anywhere or meet anyone to know the new incubator for the baby because, if it worked, it's you." I hear some hesitation in her voice and understand why.

"But I'm a vampire," I state.

"Well, she said you were the only person she'd trust with her child, so she took the chances," Bonnie tells me.

I suck in a breath. "Okay, thanks Bon."

"Sure, goodnight."

She hangs up and I immediately listen with my vampire hearing to my stomach. I hear a small heartbeat. My eyes widen and I hit my head on the top of the steering wheel. After taking some deep breaths, I turn on the car and head towards a familiar building.

Walking through the gates, I see a few vampires playing games.

"Honey, I'm home," I yell. Almost instantly, Marcel is standing in front of me. "Hello, old friend."

He brings me into a hug. "How are you?" he asks with a smile.

"I'm alright, but I do have a bone to pick."

"What happened?" He queries hesitantly.

"I believe one of your guys attacked and killed my pregnant friend, leaving her on the sidewalk for me to find while I was looking for her. Yes, she was a werewolf, but she wasn't planning on staying and I don't believe she would try to cause any trouble." I look at him sadly and he responds with a look of sympathy.

"I'll ask my circle. I'm sorry it happened." Marcel places a hand on my upper arm comfortingly. "Why don't you go to your room and get some sleep. And yes, I've still kept it as your room after all these years."

"Thank you, Marcel. I will do just that." I grab my stuff from my car and speed to my room before plopping on the bed and drifting off to sleep.