Chapter 19: Balls!

"How do I look?" I ask Rebekah playfully while spinning around. The skirt of my white dress that is decorated with shiny flowers flows around me.

"Beautiful," she responds as she pats down wisps of hair sticking up from her slicked back hair

I braided two pieces of my hair, one on either side of my head, and decorated the braids with pearls. My long light brown hair cascades down and flows naturally.

"Shall we?" I offer my arm to Bekah.

"Of course," she replies, linking her arm with mine.

We walk down the hallway to the stairs. We pause at the top, gaining some people's attention, before walking down the staircase elegantly. Upon reaching the bottom, someone offers me their hand. I look up to see Kol with a smirk on his face.

"Yes, Kol?" I ask, raising my eyebrows.

"You look beautiful, care to get a drink?" He compliments.

"Sorry, Kol, I actually have to go see my annoying raven haired bestie," I tell him with a sarcastic smile.

Doing just that, I let go of Rebekah's arm and walk over to Elena, Damon, and Stefan. "Hey, looking good, handsomes," I greet Damon and Stefan, ignoring Elena. She just irks me. "So when is Elena meeting with mama Original?" I ask them.

"I don't know, actually," Elena says.

"Okay, just keep me updated because I don't want to suddenly see you three gone with no explanation."

"Are you worried about me, Penny?" Stefan asks in a mocking manner.

"Of course, can't have my annoying token football-playing, broody, hero hair friend being hurt," I mock back.

"What about me?" Damon asks cockily. "Do you care for me?" He asks, faking a pout.

"Of course asshole," I slap his arm, "you're my favorite person even though you're a grade-A dickwad around other people. Now, flipping the question, do you care about me?" I ask. He would either give me a joking or serious response.

"Don't even ask that. Of course I do, you're my rock," he smile slightly. I give him a hug which he returns. "I have to go speak with mayor Lockwood, care to join?" He holds his arm out for me. I link our arms and we walk towards Mrs. Lockwood.

"Hello, Carol," Damon greets.

"Hello," she responds politely.

"Hanging out with your new besties?" Damon inquires.

"I'm the mayor, Damon. When the oldest, deadliest family of vampires moves into town, you welcome them with a smile," she explains with a fake smile.

"Well, at least you know who you're borrowing that cup of sugar from," he retorts.

"I'm trying to protect this town," she defends. "They've assured me they want peace, and I've assured them that I would enforce it."

"Mayor Lockwood," Kol calls, approaching us. "We haven't formally met. Kol Mikaelson." He kisses her hand. "I hope your lovely town embraces us as much as we plan to embrace it."