Chapter 12 - Powerful Made-Fae

Start from the beginning

"The bond has not settled naturally?" Sandrielle asked gently, lowering herself onto the lounger by Elain's feet, her eyes warm with gentle questioning.

"Not exactly," Elaine admitted. "I was betrothed when he claimed me. It felt sudden and unexpected, and I had also just been kidnapped and assaulted... sometimes I think I may associate him with the loss of my human life."

She didn't know why she was being so honest with this female, but she felt comfortable.

Sandrielle shook her head in sorrow. "My, my, my. Kidnapped, transformed, and claimed all on the same day. You poor child."

Elain blushed, looking down at Nyx's dark curls, unsure of what to say to the incredibly kind female.

But Sandrielle continued speaking, her quiet voice carrying over the flowers beside the pair. "Mates are rare. But for three Made-Fae... I can see why the Cauldron has mated you all. Powerful Made Fa e." She nodded approvingly.

"But, truthfully... I don't feel powerful," Elain remarked, unable to stop the honesty from popping out. "My sisters... well my younger can wield the power of all seven Courts. She is a High Lady . And my elder sister... she defeated death itself... she's even created a magical trove of Made weapons. Some even believe her to be a goddess of Death."

Sandrielle's eyes softened, her hand drawing toward Elain's, clasping it gently.

"Oh, but I can sense your power my dear. I have a knack for these things. It is pouring from these hands of yours." She set her shoulders back slightly as she continued speaking. "Your elder sister has made a Magical Trove and your younger sister has made a powerful whelp. Have you not put your hand to creating anything since being Made my dear?"

Elain scoffed, laughing gently, recalling Rhys' joke from the previous evening: that she would become so emotional over burnt bread that she would winnow herself to her bedroom to cry about it.

Frowning, she raised her eyes to Sandrielle. "I bake and garden, but those are hardly.." her voice trailed off, embarrassment lacing her words.

But it was to her surprise, that the Priestess beamed toward Elain. "So you have Made. And tell me child: these flowers that you grow... do they grow lovelier here in Prythian than they did when you were a human?"

Elain pondered the question earnestly. Her flowers at the decrepit cottage had never been remarkable, but that was because the poor things were surviving in such bleak conditions. The estate gardens on the other hand were beautiful and lush, though truthfully, nothing compared to her gardens in Velaris. But Velaris had perfect weather year-round, and Rhys was their master... surely those flowers were enchanted or something.

"My flowers do seem to grow better here in Prythian, but that is because they are fae flowers."

Sandrielle smiled again at Elain, putting her hands on her knees, rising with a creaking knee into a standing position. The gowns of silk slid off the lounger to pool around her feet.

Raising her face to the warm afternoon sun, the older female closed her eyes. "There is no such thing as fae flowers my dear child. A flower in Prythian is the same as a flower in the human realm. If your flowers are lovelier, it is because of your power."

Stunned into silence, Elain gaped at the priestess.

"I am always available for consultation, or even companionship during your time here in Patras. I have a temple connected to this palace and would love to talk with you more about these things if you so desire."

Elain felt a beaming smile wash over her face.

"Thank you Sandrielle." Her voice quieted. "No one has ever noticed any gifts in me, other than when I was spouting nonsense which turned out to be visions. I guess I am a Seer?"