Part 5

"I don't know"

They hadn't been the words you expected, and a part of you felt hope fading. You had hoped that when she woke up, the mystery would end, that your curiosity could finally be satisfied and perhaps close a chapter in your life. But it was obvious that life was not going to make it easy for you.

You quickly ordered some water to be brought for her, which she was grateful for because her lips felt painfully dry and it almost hurt to see her swallow so desperately, it was obvious that unconscious time had taken its toll on her. Carefully you helped her to her feet, catching her before she could fall as her legs gave out.

"I think you're not ready for your first steps yet" you joked lightly

The brunette just smiled nervously at you and despite the gaunt state of her cheeks, you still found it an adorable sight when she blushed. You helped her back to the bed, arranging the pillows behind her to keep her sitting up, and excused yourself to go get her something to eat.

It was true that you could have ordered something to be cooked, just as you had ordered the water, but you needed a little distance because you were short of breath. You went downstairs and almost ran into the kitchen, leaning on the sink as you closed your eyes and took a few breaths.

The reality was finally catching up with you. You had been so excited to see her wake up but only then did you realize the titanic task in front of you: she didn't remember anything, she didn't even know who she was. There was no way you could contact someone from her family, you would have to keep looking while taking care of her. Not that you were complaining about that last one, and you supposed being conscious would make things easier, but there was something else bothering you.

You wanted to say that you were worried that you couldn't give her the help that she needed, that you were scared that you wouldn't find her family, that you would make a misstep and worsen the already fragile state that she was in. That you were afraid of not knowing where she came from or if she was running from something, because maybe whoever had hurt her was still close to the town.

But the truth was, you were scared of the way your heart raced, your cheeks flushed, and the butterflies in your stomach fluttered as she looked at you with her big teary eyes. It wasn't a feeling you were used to.

While it was true that you always tried to think the best of people and tried to be nice to everyone (until they showed you that they were not worth it), the truth was that you only once knew such a feeling. Only once did you feel that the world changed around you, that the sky opened above you and that fire inside you was lit. Just once. And it hadn't ended well.

You tried to reprimand yourself, to remind yourself that it was silly to feel something like that for a complete stranger. You tried to convince yourself that you were just confused by the relief you felt at seeing her wake up after days of questioning if she would live. You lied to yourself saying you were just disappointed that you didn't get answers.

However, that feeling only lasted for the hours between preparing her something to eat and explaining to her how she had come into your life. After the initial shock, she thanked you for what you had done and something in you woke up. You felt so much more protective of her when you saw the fear and confusion in her eyes, and when she quietly asked what she would do now, how she would get back home if she couldn't remember where home was, you knew you couldn't give up on her.

So the next few days you had spent trying not to overwhelm her too much. Gael had been just as surprised and excited as you were when he came back and saw you talking to her. You managed to stop him before he asked her questions that could overwhelm her, however, you realized, when she hid behind you upon seeing him, that perhaps she was not ready to face the challenge of being with people, she would be scared if the employees of your father's house were in and out of her room and you didn't think it was wise to take her to the hospital yet.