Part 4

"Uh, Y/N, you might want to come"

You jumped up, leaving the radio abandoned on the table as you ran up the stairs. Ever since the woman had woken up...or well, half-awakened, she had been constantly traveling between the world of the living and unconsciousness, you never seemed to be able to hold a conversation with her and her murmurs had stopped sounding like words, now they were just noises without sense.

It hurt you to see her so defenseless. Her wounds were beginning to heal, but every day you saw her thinner and thinner and that worried you. Nightmares were also a recurring thing and on more than one occasion you had seen her cry desperately, even while she was trapped in her own mind.

Which was exactly what was happening at the time.

You frowned in concern as you entered the room to find a very frightened Gael standing by the bed where the brunette was writhing with a frightened scowl and tears running down her cheeks. You only had to get a little closer to notice that drops of cold sweat were already beginning to run down her forehead.

"What happened?" you asked, running to her side

"I don't know, I was just watching her as you told me to and all of a sudden she started muttering and flailing" your fiancé explained.

"She murmured?" you looked at him "what did she say? Did you manage to understand something?"

"No" he shook his head "she just kept repeating 'no, leave me alone', I'm sorry"

"It's okay" you said, although you felt a little disappointed.

You had spent the last few days trying to find something about her, keeping an eye out for her in the newspapers or on the radio, in case there was an advertisement, someone who was looking for her. You had searched in each and every one of the nearby police stations for a report on a missing Julieta, but the five you found had either appeared within a few days or... they were already in a better place. There was no trace of your brunette, it seemed as if she didn't exist.

But it was not time to think about that, she needed you. In these days of taking care of her almost religiously, you had learned that she calmed down faster if you held her hand and whispered soothing words to her. You had also learned that it only worked with you.

"Hey, it's okay" you whispered, gently stroking her head with your other hand "it's okay, you're safe, I'm here."

Julieta kept moving, too agitated. She worried you when you felt the unusually high heat radiating from her and immediately sent Gael for ice water. Quickly and taking advantage of the absence of prying eyes, you lowered the neck of her nightdress a little, to try to help her body return to a less dangerous temperature.

She kept thrashing and muttering meaningless things that seemed more and more like desperate wails. In an attempt to calm her down, you lowered the neck of your own dress a little as well and took her hand to place her palm on your chest, just above your heart.

Even though it was racing with fear, the feel of your pulse seemed to calm her down a bit and her pitiful gasps slowly began to calm down. You carefully climbed onto the bed, sitting next to her so you could hover over her more easily.

"It's okay, you're okay, I'm here" you whispered again "I'm not going to let anything happen to you"

Julieta kept her eyes firmly closed, but her movements began to become less aggressive and slower until she finally relaxed back against the pillows. You had no idea what she saw in her nightmares, but you did know that every time she had them, she withered a little more.

"You're fine, Juli, I've got you"

You blushed a little when you realized how informal and almost intimate the nickname sounded on your lips. Yes, you had been taking care of her for days and your search for her family, or at least her story had not stopped, but the truth was that you did not know this woman, you should not be feeling so attached to her. You shouldn't feel like she's your most precious treasure.