Part 3

"Anything?" you asked when Gael entered the room

"Nothing" he shook his head "there has been no one to report her as missing, at least not in 8 towns around"

You sighed in defeat before looking back at the brunette next to you. It had been almost a week since you found her and she still hadn't woken up. The doctor told you that the blow she had had been very hard and that it would be a miracle if she woke up from it, but you were not going to stick to miracles and decided to take care of her yourself.

You had ordered several copies of the photograph to be made and Gael had taken it upon himself to take them to the different police stations in the nearby towns, in the hope that, if any of the people in the photo saw it, they would ask about the woman. But there was no luck.

And what worried you most was how thin the brunette was getting. Dr. Medina came every day to give her some kind of vitamin injection or something like that, but you knew that if she didn't wake up to eat she wasn't going to last long.

"Calm down" Gael told you, noticing your concern "she will be fine. Someone will show up soon and they'll pick her up at the hospital."

"We already talked about this, she does not go to the hospital" you said

"Y/N-"

"I'm not letting her out of my sight until she wakes up."

He looked at you for a moment. He knew that there was no point in arguing with you, he had known you since you were a child and he knew that when you stood up for something, there was no one to move you from your place. And the thing was, although you allowed the doctor to check on the woman and accepted his daily visits to check on her, from the first moment you had refused to be separated from her.

You had refused to let the ambulance take her and you wouldn't let anyone else take care of her, or clean her up or change her dressing, nothing. You were quite protective of this stranger you'd met in the woods, but he wanted to be understanding and think of it as guilt because whatever had happened to her, it had technically been on your property and you felt responsible.

Although the way you looked at her seemed to tell another story.

"At some point, she will wake up" he told you

"And until then she doesn't leave" you said, crossing your arms.

"...okay" he sighed "do you need me to get you something? I have to go to town."

"No thanks" you said

He nodded and turned to leave, but a wave of guilt washed over you. Gael had done nothing but support you, he had even personally traveled to nearby towns to take the photograph because you didn't trust anyone else to do it. It wasn't fair for you to take out your frustration on him.

Despite not wanting to do so, you got out of bed, careful not to disturb the woman, even though you knew it was highly unlikely that she would wake, and walked over to him, taking his hand and stopping him before he could go downstairs.

"I'm sorry" you said when he looked at you "I know I've been a headache for you these days and I'm sorry. You're my best friend, I shouldn't treat you like this, I'm just... I'm worried"

"I know" he smiled at you "and it's okay, you've always been a pain in the ass and still I like you, right?" he teased, ruffling your hair

"Hey" you laughed "you know I'm going to charge you for that comment, right?"

"I don't expect anything less from you" he told you before getting more serious "we will find her family, Y/N, I promise"

You looked at him for a moment before nodding. You really wanted to believe him, but the null results you'd gotten so far made you believe that either she wasn't from anywhere nearby...or no one was looking for her.