2. jealousy

killua's POV

after promising gon that we would never forget about each other, we laid in the wildflowers with our hands intertwined until i was told that aunt mito could make us lunch.

gon and i usually did romantic couple things like holding hands, and we didn't really think much of it. "hey, i'm not complaining.." is what i always thought when we did such things, like we were characters in a love story, with no cares in the world.

"c'mon, mito's making us lunch!" gon said, hopping up from the ground and plopping on the seat of his bike.

"mmm, sounds good," i hummed, getting on my bike.

——

"ughh," i yawned, slapping my alarm. today was the first day of high school, without gon. "oh, god..." i groaned, rubbing my eyes and yawning again. after getting out of bed and making it, i threw on a cool enough outfit. i was never amused with school, so i never really tried. even so, i've had almost all a's my whole life.

texting gon, i said, "morning gon:) i know today will be hard for both of us, but knowing your amazing soul, you'll charm everyone! tell me all about it at the flower field after school! have a great first day<3" and pushed my phone into one of the pockets of my shorts.

"everything will be fine," i tried to remind myself as i walked out the door to bike to school.

——

gon's POV

i slowly opened my eyes to the sound of my annoying alarm. "first day of high school," i thought to myself. i was nervous, to say the least.

"everything will be fine," i convinced myself, then feeling a vibration in my pocket, a text from killua showed up on my screen.

"he's such a sweetheart," i pondered, smiling at my phone while eating a piece of perfectly-cooked bacon.

"what are you smiling at?" mito interrogated, smirking. "uhh—nothing!" i stuttered, blushing at the realization that i was all smiley because of my best friend.

"oookay, whatever you say," mito teased, " you better get to school now," she chuckled. "oh, yeah! right!" i stumbled, in between glances at the time. once i was turning away from mito, i had a reoccurring thought: why was i so flustered over killua's text?

my cheeks were hot at the thought of killua.

"love you!" i heard mito say behind the front door as it shut behind me.

"god, what's wrong with me?" i continued to think to myself as i got on my bike to go to school.

finally, i texted killua back, and it read: "morning killuaaa!! ur the sweetest person ever, have a great day too! <333"

——

during the school day, i couldn't stop thinking about how flustered i was over killua's text he sent in the morning.

"what did it mean? surely i couldn't have feelings for him, he's my best friend. he wouldn't and doesn't like me back, even though he's gay. no way, if i ever told him, it would ruin everything," i thought and thought and thought.

and then it hit me, i like killua. romantically.

i like killua zoldyck! my best friend since as long as i can remember!

"oh my," i flushed a hue of red.

"this isn't good at all," i thought, "i can't tell him." i doubted. i always doubted myself with things like that. "i just, i can't disappoint people i love. not killua, not mito, nobody. especially not myself. and if i told killua about my feelings for him, that would...do worse than disappoint him."