Chapter Forty-Four

Start from the beginning

As the musicians resumed their playing, a bold young woman stepped in front of Ridge and asked him to dance. He looked at her with surprise, and Roman pushed him towards the dance floor. Ridge had not agreed, but now he was trapped. It was only one dance, and Ridge obliged the girl's request.

She chattered, and Ridge feigned interest as he went through the steps of the dance. She was short and perky and had an annoying voice. He looked over her head and scanned the crowd for Juliette. He wanted to get her alone and steal a kiss. The whiskey had made him feel embolden.

When the dance ended, Ridge bowed to the young lady, who curtsied to him. Before she could grab his arm to leave the dance floor, Ridge excused himself to find Juliette.

"May I speak to you in private?" asked Ridge.

Juliette's eyes opened in surprised. She looked to see where her parents were, and then she took Ridge's hand, and they left the ballroom.

"Is this private enough?"

"No."

Juliette was now puzzled. She couldn't image why he needed privacy.

"Let's step into the library."

She opened the large wooden door and revealed a beautiful room full of books and leather chairs.

Ridge couldn't contain himself any longer. He pulled Juliette into his arms and thought two can play her game. He leaned his head towards her and spoke inches away from her red lips.

"Charlotte asked me to dance with you, and I obliged her request. But I understand it is not truly a first season unless the ingenue has a kiss stolen from her. I am here to oblige."

"Why, you arrogant, insolent pup. How dare you?"

Ridge caught her hand before she slapped him. He moved it behind her back and pulled her in tight. Then he kissed her until she stopped protesting. She looked into his eyes, and the kisses became more passionate with hunger and desire. Ridge slowed the kissing down as he nibbled on her lips and her ears. He kissed her neck as she leaned her head back. She was too willing, and Ridge left her wanting more as he pulled out of the embrace.

"Good evening, Ma'am. I was happy to oblige, but you are too young."

"And you're not ready for a relationship."

"So, we're even."

Juliette opened the door and rushed into the ballroom, still feeling the tingle on her lips from his kisses of desire. Her stomach fluttered with butterflies, and she felt her heart racing as she walked into the ballroom.

Ridge stood in the library and realized kisses with Juliette were nothing like what he had experienced with Josie. He remembered the chicken pecks he had received from Josie. She was playful like a little girl, and Ridge had no experience with kissing.

This was different; he had kissed a passionate woman who was too young to get married. He discreetly left the library and entered the ballroom. Juliet was dancing with her date and smiling as she danced. Ridge went to the bar and ordered another whiskey as he watched her glide across the dance floor. He hated watching her dancing in another man's arms. She should be dancing with him.

The party wound down as guests left. Only the house guests remained. Rupert was in the kitchen trying to persuade Matilda for a late-night food beyond the finger food. Matilda obliged, frying up eggs and slicing him bread to eat with them.

Reggie and Charlotte left to say good night to one another. His parents and Roman and Talia left the ballroom thanking the Winthrop's for a lovely party. Ridge was at the bar when Juliette came into the ballroom. She had walked with her date to the front door to say goodnight.

"Did you get a goodnight kiss from your date?"

"No. That was our first date, and he is just a friend. I am not interested in him that way."

"That's good to hear."

"Besides, even if I did, it would be of no concern of yours."

"All I can say is that it is his loss."

"You are such a rogue, and you're drunk."

"Ma'am, to a Thanturnum, that is a compliment."

Ridge laughed, and Juliette stomped away, leaving him to wallow. Rupert emerged from the kitchen and knew he needed to put Ridge to bed. The two of them sang goodnight to the house as they walked a crooked line back to their rooms.

* * *

The sun rose to a beautiful Sunday morning. The household was slow to get up after last night's festivities. They served breakfast in shifts as the women ate a light breakfast and went to their rooms to begin their toiletry for this afternoon's wedding.

The Thanturnum men kept Matilda busy as they ate in her kitchen. She had never seen such appetites. The ballroom was transformed, leaving the pink sheers and roses. They added gold decorations and set the tables with good china and a silver coffee pot.

Reggie went to his parent's bedroom after breakfast. He needed a trim. When he entered the room, he saw his mother was all set up waiting for him. He also saw his brothers sitting in the chairs.

"Are you guys in line?"

"No. We just want to watch and see how nervous you are," said Roman.

"I just want a trim on my hair, but I have decided to shave all of this off my face."

"Reggie, you can't be serious?" asked his mother.

"Charlotte always tells me I look like such a rogue, which I find a compliment. Besides, it will grow back before you know it."

His mother agreed, and she set to work on the transformation. When she finished, they were both surprised by the look. His chiseled cheekbones and his jawline stood out more prominently.

"I didn't think you could get any more handsome, but I was wrong," said his mother.

"What do you mean? He is as ugly as ever," said Rupert.

He felt his clean-shaven face and looked side to side in the mirror, admiring the shave. He splashed on cologne. Then, his father reached under the bed and pulled out a long-felt case.

"Congratulations, son. Your mother and I are so happy about your marriage."

It was a Pennsylvania long rifle. Reggie had forgotten about wedding gifts. He held the rifle, and it felt right in his hands.

Roman handed him money and said, "I would like to buy one of your steers to take back to the Henderson's. I want to give them the beef for the household."

"This is too much for one steer."

"Keep it." said Roman.

Rupert handed him a fresh bag full of gunpowder and a smaller pouch with wad and lead ammunition for the rifle. His thoughtfulness touched Reggie. Ridge felt like a fool. He had forgotten to get Reggie a gift.

"All I can offer is my services," said Ridge, knowing he needed to make it up to both his brothers with actual gifts for their weddings.

"That's okay. Ridge. I plan on working the shit out of you when we build our house."

Everyone laughed, knowing he would keep his word. He thanked his family and then Reggie left for his bedroom to get dressed in his formal wear for his wedding.