Chapter Forty-Three

Chapter Forty-Three

Juliet Winthrop's First Season Gala

It was shortly before noon when Oscar pulled the carriage into the driveway of the Winthrop's home. Charlotte came running out to greet them. Reggie held the door and helped Charlotte into the carriage.

"Hello. Did you have a good morning with your errands?"

"That I did. I hope you picked an excellent restaurant because I'm starving."

"Oscar, take us to the Regency for lunch."

"The Regency. Sound fancy."

"Oh, it is and romantic. Then I thought we could do shopping together."

"How did you know I have money burning a hole in my pocket just waiting to be spent on you?"

"Don't worry. I also brought my money in case I want to spoil you."

When they arrived, Reggie handed Oscar some coins and told him to get himself a good meal and a pint.

"Thank you, sir. It has been a busy morning."

Charlotte told Oscar that they planned to go downtown to the stores after lunch to shop. He assured her he would be waiting.

"And if you're late, we will be in the carriage kissing."

Oscar laughed and winked at the young man in love. When Reggie and Charlotte walked into the lobby of the Regency hotel, they were met with a grand décor. The dining room was to the left. They were seated by the window, and Reggie ordered two whiskeys, top shelf. When the drinks arrive, Reggie ordered two steaks, roasted potatoes, and bread.

"The Ivan Special," laughed Charlotte.

"It is his money I'm spending, but I draw the line at vodka. That stuff is terrible, no taste and knocks you on your arse, before you know what hit you."

"I must confess that I have an ulterior motive for choosing this restaurant. What would you think if we stayed here Sunday night for our wedding night?"

"One or two nights?"

"I don't know," said Charlotte, as she blushed and looked down demurely.

"Roman and Talia went into Roman's bedroom late Saturday night and didn't emerge until Monday morning. They never left the room."

"Is that what you have planned?"

"Maybe. Just think room service, breakfast in bed, and a bath together."

"Oh dear. Do you plan on sleeping?"

"No."

He finished his whiskey and ordered a second one. They brought the meal to them on sizzling hot platters, and when Reggie saw the breadbasket, he ordered a second one.

"I need to fit in my wedding gown," said Charlotte as she passed her half-eaten steak and potatoes to Reggie.

The food was delicious, and Reggie finished Charlotte's plate with no problems. After lunch, they went to the hotel front desk and booked the wedding suite for two nights. Reggie paid a deposit to hold the rooms.

After lunch, Oscar drove them to the shopping area. The stores lined a plaza park on all four sides. There were benches to sit, and they saw older women with prams. Their first stop was the stationery store. Charlotte had ordered new calling cards, and she was eager to show Reggie.

He was enthralled by the variety of merchandise. He selected a leather journal, and Charlotte winced but said nothing. She had already bought him one for a wedding present with his initials embossed on the leather. She had also purchased a writing box for him with quills and ink, pencils and writing paper.