Chapter Thirty-Six

Chapter Thirty-Six

A Free Man

Ridge's friend Derek Livingston came to work at nine o'clock, and Ridge showed him his job and explained the new system of double-checking the math and signing off on the entries for each folder. Mrs. White had brought her niece to work and scheduled her interview right away in the morning. Ridge interviewed the applicants and hired only one for now. He gave the recommendations for the second one to Mr. Henderson.

It was late in the afternoon when Mr. Henderson called Ridge into his office. He handed Ridge his pay envelope with wages for the week, and Ridge handed him his recommendations and his transcribed notes from their discussions into a business plan.

"Ridge, I can't tell you how much I have enjoyed working with you this week. I am sad to see you go, but you have given new life to my business."

"I have learned so much this week. Thank you for the opportunity," said Ridge as he placed the envelope in his inside pocket.

"Not so fast. Mrs. Henderson and I would like you to have this."

The man stood up and handed him a second pay envelope.

"What's this for?" asked Ridge as he looked at the bills.

"Consulting fee. That's what Mrs. Henderson calls it."

"What does that mean?"

"To my wife, it means that you helped me bring life to my business and helped put an end to the endless paperwork I faced every night. I was ready to give up, and my friend, Mr. Johnson, persuaded me to take on more help. And I tell you, the Lord works in mysterious ways. He sent you to me, and I listened. You must realize that is not my strong suit."

Ridge laughed at the man's antics as he explained his reasoning.

"Thank you. That is very generous of you and Mrs. Henderson. I don't know what to say."

"Well, say you will come back during our quarterly reports, and we will analyze the accounts to see if the efficiency improves our payment returns."

"If I come back, it would be for a week's wages and a consulting fee, four times a year. Correct?"

"Yes. It would allow us to stay in touch. Catch up on my paperwork if I am behind and listen to your advice for additional improvements."

"Mr. Henderson, you have yourself a consultant," said Ridge, shaking the man's hand.

"Is has been our pleasure. I had a delicatessen basket sent to the house for this evening's supper."

"Mr. Henderson, I need to go to the Johnsons this evening, and I don't know what time I will return."

"I know. That's why we are doing an informal supper. No rush."

"Thank you. I appreciate you consideration."

"It is almost four o'clock on a Friday. You earned some time. Go explore the shops and run any errands you need to run before you leave tomorrow."

"Thank you, Mr. Henderson. I will see you this evening."

Ridge gathered his personal items and donned his cape and hat. He ventured out to the sidewalks and headed for the stationery store. Ridge bought his mother stationery, knowing that she will need to write and let people know about his cancelled engagement. He purchased a box of cigars for his brothers and father. Ridge selected a leather-bound journal for himself, along with a ledger book, additional paper, pencils, and a bottle of ink.