Chapter Four

Chapter Four

Rumors and Unanswered Questions

On Friday morning, Charlotte dressed for another day of riding. She joined the men for breakfast. Mr. Albright and her father seemed in better spirits, and Tristan was as charming as ever as he asked for her forgiveness from last night.

"I want to apologize for my behavior and my poor company last night," said Tristan as he took her hand. "Please forgive me. I can't go another hour knowing you are upset with me."

Charlotte looked at the handsome young man with a fresh shave. She debated whether to tell him of her annoyance with being dismissed or remain coy and accept his apology.

"Tristan, I accept your apology," said Charlotte as she smiled and allowed him to continue to hold her hand.

"Oh, my dear lady. That is a burden from my shoulders," said Tristan as he kissed her hand.

The kiss felt dry, and it almost made Charlotte want to pull her hand. She looked at him, searching for sincerity.

"Please understand, Tristan. I am curious about my father's business, and I dislike being dismissed because I am a woman. I was hoping to better understand my father's political meetings so I could talk with him. Too often he treats me like a child, hoping to protect me."

"I understand your frustrations. The Senator is meeting with different landowners and businessmen while we are in Carlisle. After all, Carlisle is a town at the crossroads with the potential to grow and expand. And it is in your father's district, politically."

"And what are your political ambitions?"

Tristan smiled and told her of his plans for his future. He was looking for a wife in hopes it would further his political status and become a representative in the legislature.

As Charlotte smiled and listened attentively, it gave Tristan renewed hope of their relationship. He was in love with her, and he hoped to convince her by the end of the trip that he could be a worthy husband with a future.

Her father entered the dining room and told the men he was ready to leave. They had brought the carriages around to the front of the hotel. Charlotte said her goodbyes to her father's aides and realized her father had not said good morning or goodbye to her.

She dismissed his behavior, knowing he was preoccupied with his affairs. She gathered her outer garments and left for the stable. When she arrived, she saw Oscar and Jenkins visiting with Clyde.

"Good morning gentlemen,"

"Good morning, Miss Randolph."

"Where are we off to this morning?"

"Well, we traveled from the east and rode west yesterday," said Oscar. "So we can ride either north or south."

"Clyde, what do you suggest?"

"Well, Ma'am, there is an inn to the north about eight miles outside of town. Now Elmer only serves sausages and sauerkraut, and his ale is usually sour, but he makes a fine wine. Now his wife, Gretta, and her daughters, they are worth the ride. They make the best baked goods."

"Oh, that sounds delightful. I could buy some baked goods to bring as a gift for tomorrow night to the mayor's party."

"I would save the ride to the south for another day because the closest inn is a good hour and a half ride one way. Keep an eye on the weather. I can feel it in my bones that there is a storm brewing. There are dark clouds in the distance to the west, and the air is damp this morning. But you should be fine through early afternoon."