Chapter Eleven

Chapter Eleven

The Landowner's Meeting

Charlotte found her father in the banquet room. She walked up to him and kissed him on the cheek. Even he could not ruin Charlotte's good mood.

"Hello, father."

"Charlotte, you look lovely this evening," said her father as he kissed her on the cheek.

The waitress came by, and Charlotte ordered a whiskey.

"Don't you think you should order wine, my dear?" asked her father quietly.

"No. I prefer whiskey this evening. Tell me about your day."

"We looked over several properties and spoke with the landowners. Beautiful country here in the Cumberland Valley. How did you spend your day?"

"I had a most adventurous day. I went riding outside of the town. Yes, Oscar and the boys accompanied me, so I was safe."

"That is good to hear."

Charlotte scanned the room, looking for Reggie. She saw Tristan at the bar. He held up his glass to her and then drained his glass, ordering another. She turned away, ignoring him. Then she saw them.

She gasped as the two men entered the banquet room. The resemblance was uncanny; they were father and son. Reggie and Charlotte's eyes met, and like a magnet, they were drawn together.

Tristan watched the scene play out as Charlotte glided toward the tall, dark-haired man. They met in an affectionate embrace and then spoke intimately to each other. He watched her laugh and smile at the gentleman, and his blood boiled, still feeling the sting of her rejection.

"Hello Charlie. You look beautiful this evening."

"Hello Reggie."

Then Charlotte leaned in close and whispered in his ear.

"I found the coat. It's in my locked trunk."

Reggie smiled at her boldness and courage. Then he remembered his father.

"Miss Randolph, I would like you to meet my father, Gordon Thanturnam."

"How do you do, Mr. Thanturnam, and please call me Charlotte."

"Nice to meet you, Ma'am. My son has spoken highly of you."

"That is nice to hear. Reggie regaled me with many stories of his brothers."

"Charlotte? So, Charlie is short for Charlotte?"

"I believe Reggie is short for Reginald, if I am not mistaken."

Then the three of them laughed. The waitress brought them drinks and they toast to "chance encounters."

"Father, do you think it is too soon to ask Miss Randolph if she has all her teeth?"

"What?" exclaimed Charlotte.

"My brother Rupert will ask me."

Then Reggie told her the running joke amongst his brothers. Charlotte's eyes opened wide, and then she laughed out loud at the outrageously silly question.

"Please assure Rupert that I have all my teeth."

The men toasted her good sense of humor. Charlotte felt a brush against her leg and saw Kaiser.

"Hello Kaiser. So nice to see you. I bet you are hungry. Reggie, have you fed him anything today?"

"No, but I will order an extra steak for him."