Temi came in with a nurse and a doctor trailing behind her.

“Dinma Jacobs.” The doctor called from the folder in his hands, then handed it to the nurse, before proceeding to check her vitals— blood pressure, ECG reading.
“How do you feel?” He reached for the bandaged leg.

“Pain...” Her throat felt parched “Can I have water please?”

“Sure.” The doctor replied.

Temi who had been watching in silence, quickly reached for her bag, and handed her a bottle.  Dinma took quick gulps from the bottle, immediately feeling refreshed afterwards. She handed the empty bottle to her friend, and wiped her mouth with the back of her right palm.

“How long have I been here?” She asked.

“The police brought you in yesterday, you had gone into shock. For the pain, we would prescribed some painkillers and antibiotics for the wound. Thankfully, you didn't sustain any other injuries. You didn't lose much blood as the police was able to get you to the hospital earlier.” Then to the nurse  “She needs Iron, blood tonic, B-complex and folic acid.”

“But she'll be fine?” Temi asked, her voice shaking.

“Yes.” The doctor replied, then to Dinma “ The police wants to take your statement concerning the incident, do you think you can do that?”

Temi replied in defiance “No she cannot, she's not going to see anybody. No stupid police should come here. Ah-ah! Are you not supposed to be recommending a bed rest for her?”

The doctor sighed “Fine then. Just so you know, the statement is to help find the guys who did this to your friend.”

“I know what a statement is.” Temi retorted.

“Okay.” He smiled and gave a curt nod. “I'll check back on you Dinma.” Then he left with the nurse behind him.

Temi walked back to seat she had been sitting on, and flopped heavily into it.

“I can't believe I almost lost you.” Temi stated in daze.

“I'm fine.” Dinma gave her friend a smile “It's just my leg.”

“Why didn't you call me?”

“I didn't want to scare you.”

“No shit Dee! Do you think you did a good job with that?”

“I'm sorry.” Dinma apologized.

Temi heaved a sigh and reached for her friend's hand. “I'm just glad you're okay.”

Dinma gave her a reassuring smile “Me too.”

“But why would they rob you? Do they think you're a billion-” Temi's eyes widened.

“What?”Dinma sat up, as careful as she could, and Temi rushed to prop some pillows behind her

“Do you think landlady did this?” Temi asked, midway to her task.

“Why would you think she would do that?”

Temi adjusted the pillows behind her friend, and sat in the space beside her. “Remember how you felt that day, you thought she was listening in on us. What if she was?”

“So you think she's the one?”

“I don't know.” Temi replied exasperatedly. “I mean, what if she had heard about the money?”

Dinma shook her head, “They were not looking for money. They wanted a box, I think my grandma's box of letters.”

“What will they use it for?”