The Red Sunrise

CHAPTER TWO ~*~*~ The Red Sunrise

I was still sleeping in my bed when Ryan woke me up at 3am via throwing small rocks and pebbles against my bedroom window. Irritated, I rolled out of bed and landed with a loud thump on the carpet before picking my limbs up off the floor. It was honestly still dark out, but I could hear his voice – enthusiastic as ever – chirping outside.

Stumbling across my room, I made my way to the door of my mini balcony before opening the door and stepping outside. Ryan’s voice hit me before the cool night breeze did. “Good morning!” He yelled, looking a little bit better than gorgeous with the moonlight lighting up his presence and his usual smile spread out across his face.

“It’s still night,” I groaned. “Go back to bed.” I left the balcony door open, but went back to snuggle underneath my blankets.

I could hear him screaming outside for me to get my butt up and I was pretty sure he was eventually going to wake up the neighbourhood if I didn’t stop him. “Get up!” He shouted. “It’s going to be a beautiful day today! Let’s go see the sunrise!”

“Five more minutes!” I begged, burying my head in my pillow. “Please!”

Ryan laughed, but continued to pester me. “C’mon or Romeo is going to keep throwing rocks at your window until one actually hits you.”

A chuckle tumbled out of my mouth as I made my way back out to the balcony. Elbows resting against the metal railing, and face resting on the palm of my hands, I peered down at Ryan with amusement. “Romeo? Really?” I teased. “Where? Because all I see is a Juliet.”

Even in the dim lighting, I could make out the face Ryan gave me which made me laugh because he looked even more like a girl with that kind of displeased, pouty expression. “Alright. Alright.” I muttered. “Just let me throw on some clothes and I’ll meet you down there in five.”

Quickly, I threw on my older brother’s hand-me-downs and before five minutes even passed, I was flying out the front door.

After we talked to each other that day, Ryan and I met up to eat lunch for the last few days of school. It’s been two weeks since the start of summer vacation and he was still buzzing around me like a bee.

In a way, he was like a puppy with its butt set on fire, always yipping about until he forced me to become his new friend, until he invited himself over to my house, until he invaded my room because he wanted to see what it looked like.

“What does your room look like?” He had chirped.

“A room,” I had replied, but the boy doesn’t seem to be able to take ‘no’ for an answer.

It seemed like he wanted me to join him on his summer adventures too, and although some of it does sounded really cool, I was a little less than thrilled for waking up so early for a mere sunrise.

Ryan laughed when he saw me. “Did a bird build a nest out of your hair?” He said of my bed-head. “Do you have eggs in there?”