"I'll take that as a compliment," Elizabeth said and sat down on a bench. She was still in formal clothes but looked much more relaxed than when she was in class. A few buttons were undone on her blouse and her dark, curly hair rested in a low, loose ponytail that looked a lot more comfortable than the high and tight one she had her hair in all morning. Lupita sat down beside her and they waited for the rest of the people to come out of the changing rooms.

"Is Jazmyn the only halfling that is trying out?" Lupita asked as she sniffed the air. No one even closely resembled Jazmyn in smell.

"She is one of the only halflings in school," Elizabeth said and Lupita's eyes widened. Sure, people who mated outside their species were shunned and sometimes cast out, but was Jazmyn really the only one? It couldn't be that taboo.

"It isn't very popular to mate with other species I guess," Lupita said and fiddled with her fingers.

"I was kicked out of my pack for having a human mate. And my mate was kicked out of his home for being with me. Our daughter in turn is sadly an outcast like her parents," Elizabeth said sadly and Lupita nodded. There weren't any halflings in her pack, mostly because they were a very secluded pack that didn't let any other species come close to their pack area. It was sad, really, Lupita had always been fascinated with other magical creatures but only ever saw them in books up until a few years back. Though she guessed it was for her pack's safety and pride. Being one of the only ancient packs alive at the time and not wanting to "taint" their blood. It was all stupid but that was how the elders and their Alpha had wanted it, so she couldn't really complain, though she would disagree with what they did. Especially the part where they were instructed to kill the "lowers" when they entered their territory.

The girls eventually came out of the lockers and jogged out to the field. Jazmyn was one of the last and walked over to where Lupita and Elizabeth were sitting. Elizabeth took out something that looked like big gloves from her bag and handed it to Jazmyn. They didn't seem to be the right size.

"You will do great, honey," Elizabeth said and kissed Jazmyn's head while the girl looked to be sweating bullets. She took a deep breath before looking at Lupita and giving her a tight smile.

"If I lose, will you come home with us?" she asked in a hopeful tone.

"Sure," Lupita said and nodded. It was better than sleeping in the forest anyway and she would have more time to find a more permanent place where she could stay. She would be safe and warm as well. A very welcome bonus. "I'll come if you lose or win."

Jazmyn smiled and walked onto the field while putting her hair in a ponytail. It looked slightly weird with her dreadlocks but Lupita thought it would be better than having them hit her in the face every time she made a sudden move.

"She seems nervous," Lupita said just as Jazmyn tripped but managed to luckily not fall. She got a very prominent red tint to her cheeks as she looked around to see if anyone saw.

"You think?" Elizabeth asked, and before Lupita could even answer she said, "It was sarcasm, love."

Lupita just nodded and looked out to the field where a man was telling everyone to get into different positions. Jazmyn was placed under a net that was suspended by poles. Were they going to trap her?

"That is a goal, honey," Elizabeth said when she saw Lupita's questioning look. "She is trying out to be the goalie. It will only require her reflexes which are only slightly faster than a human's and so she won't be suspected when they play with other schools that aren't from this area."

"What is a goalie?" Lupita asked as she saw the other girls run around and kick strange balls at each other or try not to get the other person to get it from them, all while controlling the balls with their feet. "Football" suddenly made a lot more sense to Lupita.