Chapter 12

Felix spent the whole weekend at Noelle's house, taking refuge in her room and couch most of the time. His parents had no issue with it, trusting Noelle and her mother since they were children. Noelle was also allowed to stay over at Felix's, the only boy she was allowed to have a sleepover with.

During the night, she had thought about her absent father. It had been years since she last saw him. When he had left, she and her mum were thrown into financial instability. Suddenly her mum had to work more, even with government assistance. It took a year or two to get back on their feet. Felix's family had been more than helpful, offering them warm meals and buying them clothes when they were struggling. He had always been by her side.

Maybe people knew Noelle didn't have a father, and she wasn't the only one. However, no one else knew just how rough it had been during that time. Felix and his family were truly saviours. Many times, her mother felt in debt to Ms Lee, but she was reassured they were family to the Lees. Noelle didn't like thinking about it. She preferred to block it out when she could. She didn't want it affecting her life any longer.

Saturday morning, she had made breakfast as promised. The two best friends spent hours making pancakes. Noelle managed to burn many and gave up when the smell started to nauseate her. Felix took over eventually. Even though he offered assistance, she persistently denied him until it cost her a quarter of the pancake batter. So she left him to it as she went to take a shower. Usually, she didn't take them in the morning but her hair felt rather greasy.

Noelle returned to her room wrapped in a towel to find Felix in her bed on, kicking his feet as he dug into a plate of pancakes. On her bed.

"Bro, come on. Off my bed and turn around!" Noelle shouted at him as he scurried towards her desk with his plate of flapjacks. He knew better than to eat that on her bed, he was getting too comfortable. "Feel like I'm scolding a puppy I've never had."

Noelle dropped her towel and quickly changed into warmer clothes. When she turned around, he still had his back turned. She rolled her eyes. "Okay, you can turn around now."

Felix pouted as he hunched over his plate. He looked ridiculous with his messy hair and whipped cream on the corner of his mouth. But god damn was he handsome. Her eyes dropped to his lips, wondering what it would be like to- Felix wiped the corner of his mouth with his thumb and licked the cream off. She spun around and took in a deep breath. This boy was going to be the death of her. And he didn't even know it. Stupid, handsome face. But then she also noticed the purple on his knuckles.

"Shit, I didn't notice that. How's your hand?" 

"Hmm?" Felix flexed his hand and stared at his knuckles. "It's fine. Stings a bit but I'm a big boy."

"Okay good."

"What's for dinner tonight?" He asked, taking another bite of his pancakes.

"I dunno, you staying again? May as well live here..."

"Really?" Felix's eyes lit up as a smile stretched into his cream covered lips.

"Psh, as if you would wanna live here." Noelle walked over to him and stole his fork, cutting herself a piece of pancake. 

"I mean, it's practically become a second home to me."

"True. Despite my teasing, you are always welcome here like I've said. Mum loves you too of course so, you're a local."

"I'd hope so. Twelve years must give me some benefits."

"You get a pensioners discount and a pat on the back." Noelle immediately followed it up by clapping him on the back. "How does pizza sound tonight?"