Chapter 5

"And you wonder why you get bad marks in chemistry..." Felix said in a harsh whisper in Noelle's ear as she dozed off beside him again, head dropped in her folded arms. There was no response at first but a short moment later there was a kick at his ankle.

"It's not my fault the theory part is boring." Came her muffled voice. But he was right. If she paid attention, she might actually learn something. That was a foreign concept. But she hadn't slept much the previous night as her mind was racing. And much to her dismay, her dilemma wasn't resolved. Seeing Felix in the morning made her flush, not that he noticed as she played it off.

"We can't always do pracs." He hissed, moving his leg out of range. "Besides, at least it's just a video we have to watch."

"Yeah, so it's naptime." Noelle kicked him again. "Go look at Hyunjin."

Felix huffed and did as he was told. It was better to pass the time observing art. Hyunjin was doodling in his notebook as usual, his lips pursed as he visualised his next piece. It was fascinating to watch. And he was so damn handsome.

They had visual arts next period, he could strike up a conversation or maybe even work up the confidence to ask out the other boy. It had been a year or so since he last dated someone. Hyunjin was... Perfect.

Felix nudged her again minutes later. "Do you want me to pay you back for the snacks? For last Friday?"

"It's fine, wasn't my money anyway," Noelle mumbled. If he disturbed her one more time, she was going to kick, no matter how she currently felt about him. With enough luck, she may just pass out for the rest of the class.

When a worksheet was placed in front of Noelle, a sharp tap on the table had her jolting awake to a glare. Once she gathered her surroundings, she found Felix gazing at Hyunjin. Even though she turned away, she felt her stomach sink. This could not have been at a worse time.

No matter how much she argued with herself, she couldn't seem to get Felix out of her head. It was unbelievable. She fantasised about her best friend, the one person she was seeming forbidden from falling for. Why now? Was she more mature and able to appreciate the person he was?

Noelle went to scribble her name on the top of her worksheet and groaned in frustration when the ink came out dry. As if her day wasn't bad enough. Felix didn't react when she reached over and took one from his pencil case. She went as far as writing her name before reading over the first question a bunch, not one single thought forming.

"You can copy my answers," Felix said suddenly, his gaze averted to her.

Noelle blinked at him steadily, then shrugged slightly. "Thank you."

Felix directed his focus on his worksheet while Noelle attempted to answer the questions she did know. All while one single phrase echoed in her mind. Fuck chemistry.

~

As soon as class ended, Noelle grabbed her backpack by her feet and jumped up. Felix went over to Hyunjin to walk to their next class while she exited quickly, missing the way Felix waved at her before she left. Noelle scratched her head with a grimace as her eyes stung from the fatigue. It was nothing but her fault but she was agitated anyway, at the same time being grateful for Felix's help.

"Noi, Noi, Noi!"

"What?!" Noelle spun towards the persistent rendition of her name. It was rare that she go to nicknamed unless someone was really trying to annoy her. Seeing the culprit made sense.

Jisung skipped towards her, a wide grin on his face. "Wanna be part of the formal committee?"

"Fuck no, who do you think I am?" She remarked somewhat aggressively. After a deep breath, she mustered a smile to come off less threatening. It wasn't his fault she was in a mood.