YOU Are Lost

When you're sure you're no longer in his view, you run over to the building the woman was hiding behind. As you turn the corner, you just see the bottom of her dress and she turns and briskly walks away. This might be a problem, because you promise to stay in the courtyard, but you follow after her anyways. You run down one street and onto another around town until you've lost sight of her all together, you think.. Then you feel a hand grab your arm and pull you into an alley. You expect it to be Katakuri, ready to scold you for lying but it's not. You gasp and try to scream but a hand covers your mouth. "No! Please don't scream I won't hurt you! I have information to help you." The voice behind you says, it's a feminine voice, soft and pretty. You nod and feel the hands leave your mouth and arm.

You relax when you see it was the woman you were following. Her neck was abnormally long according to normal beauty standards, but who cares about beauty standards? You thought she was stunning. "You're next, right?" She asks in a worried tone. "Next for what?" You ask. "The Charlottes, you're the next whore they bought, isn't that true?" You shift uncomfortably you never thought of it that. You supposed.. that could be a crude term for it. You nod again, "Yea I guess so." She puts her hands on your shoulders and pulls you into a hug. You gasp. Had you ever been hugged before? Maybe when you were a kid?

"It's okay, we have a network to get you out of here if you want." She says. What?! Woah... to get out of here? Like off the island? Out to Totto Land? Who is 'we'? "What do you mean?" You ask because all you have now are a million questions. She stops hugging you, "I started it years ago... after... my accident. I can get you off this island and started on a new one where the brothers can't find you. I have partnered with a sister, I can't mention her name, but she'll protect you! I promise you can trust us!" Your heart pounds in your chest. A way out? Run away from everyone and everything? They'd certainly come looking for you though, right? But with the help of a Charlotte sister? Maybe it could be done...

"W-what accident?" You feel bad for asking but you have to know. She looks at you with a serious but calm expression. "I came here on a ship like you, with my parents. They were under the impression I was to be married. But the Charlottes took all their money and.. well.. I'm still not married. But I was taken anyway." You cock your head, "taken?" You kick yourself mentally for being so naive. Her brow furrows as though she's not sure you're the one to trust this with. "Oven burnt my hips off, I spent months in the infirmary," she lifts up her dress and you gasp in horror. Above her knee and all the way up to her belly button is... "Candy?!" You gasp. She nods, "Perospero's attempt at reconstruction."

You feel like you might throw up. You can't imagine how painful that must have been. "I- I'm so sorry.." you feel your eyes filling with tears. "I don't want your sympathy," she says lowering her dress, "I want to help you. Help any girl. So that what happened to me, doesn't happen again. Now come with me." She takes your hand, but you pull away. Not sure if you want to go with her. She gives you a look, "it's okay. If not today, it's okay. If you're not ready yet, I'll come back for you, okay," she tells you. "But I can't stay here any longer," she looks around the corner in paranoia, "My name's Cherri. Go into that shop across the street and order a strawberry smoothie with 3 cherries. It's a code I came up with. I'll take it from there. If at any point at all you need to get out, no matter what, I'll come."

You can't believe how kind Cherri is, risking her life for these girls. "Thank you Cherri, I won't forget... but.. I don't think I'll need it." You look down at your feet shyly. She crosses her arms, "which one?" You look up at her quizzically, "what do you mean?" She sighs, "which one did you fall for?" You look at her stupidly with your mouth agape until she gives you a soft smile, "it's okay. I understand I've been there." But she's wrong you don't LOVE anyone.. it's complicated what you feel... "You mean you used to love Oven?" She scoffs, "No of course not! None of those men are worth it!" You start to put some pieces together, "the sister who helps you then? You love her?" You ask. She blushes, "Look, whatever you do, you can't tell anyone about any of this, you promise? If you do we will ALL die!" You whisper, "I would never, ever do that."

She places a comforting hand on your cheek but says sternly, "none of them are kind men." You bite your bottom lip and remember what Katakuri had told you, 'don't mistake me for someone I'm not.' You swallow hard. Her hand on your cheek feels so nice, she strokes your cheek with her thumb, "they kill children in front of their mothers and sisters in front of their brothers. Even if you manage to become one of them, it's a horrible family to join." You consider her words. You would be trading one horrible family for another? You remember how kind the sisters were when you hung out together in your room. Brûlée came for you when you were lost. And Ananas and Flampe came to your rescue at Big Mom's Tea Party even when they knew the penalty was death. Those were your friends.

You wet your lips and stand your ground, "I can't go with you." She nods, "I know. I see that. I wish you would... but I won't force you. Remember what I said. The smoothie shop across the street, a strawberry smoothie with three cherries." You smile, "I won't forget, thank you! And if there's anything I can do to help you now or later, I will! I promise you!" She looks you up and down, "you are very beautiful, strong and clearly stubborn. Who knows, maybe you'll do fine." You smile and she hugs you again, this time you hug her back. Then Cherri walks away casually. Should you have gone with? Maybe.. probably. But you have to play this out a little longer. You'd hate to run away and wish you'd stayed. You'd hate to have those 'what if' thoughts for years to come.

Now you need to find your way back to the fountain. You step out of the ally and onto the street. You can't remember which way you came from. Crap, you think, you should have asked Cherri for the way back. It's getting dark and no one is out on the street anymore. You don't have much time before Katakuri starts heading back for you. You run and keep running but every street looks the same. You start to panic thinking of the punishment you'll receive for lying and running away. You remember the feeling of being on the floor with Katakuri's spear at your chest. Where is that goddamn fountain? If only you were taller then the buildings. Then you could see the fountain. That gives you an idea.