Chapter 16

Ethan

I took a deep breath bringing down my heart rate. I just returned from jogging. I wiped the sweat off my face with a towel when I smelled something. Some burning smell. I quickly rushed to the kitchen to see Lauren struggling to bring down the smoke. She was coughing hard.

"What are you doing?" I asked her looking at her ridiculously.

When she heard my voice, she looked up and her eyes didn't waste checking on me. Her eyes widened and she just gulped staring at me. In a way, I kinda liked her checking me.

When she saw the smirk on my face, she coughed snapping out from her thoughts.

I walked towards her and saw burnt eggs in the dish and saw her trying to cover them up. She glared at me when she saw me snickering.

"Were you trying to burn my house down?" I asked her but she just scoffed at me as the response.

"But seriously, what were you going to cook?" I asked her and she just sighed disappointedly at my question before turning towards me.

"I thought I'd cook some breakfast for us. But it just turned out horrible." She said looking at the burnt eggs.

Her lips turned even more down than before when she looked down and I felt bad looking at her already ruined mood.

"Did you cook before?" I asked her and she just shook her head in response.

"Okay... Do you know how to cook?"

"I've watched enough cooking shows." She answered confidently and I couldn't stop the smile that formed on my face.

She looked confused when she saw me smile.

"How about I'll cook and you just sit down?" I asked her to which she reluctantly nodded.

I just shook my head looking at her expression.

***

We sat at the dining table all dressed up for the day. I looked up and saw her eating the toast and scrambled eggs I made, clearly enjoying the taste.

"So, how is it?" I asked her wiping my mouth with a napkin.

"Not the best I've had. But not bad either." She answered diplomatically.

She looked smitten at her own response. I scoffed at her.

"At least better than burnt eggs." She stopped eating and gave me a fake smile.

"Well, you aren't lucky enough to eat mine." she said but when she realised what she said, she widened her eyes.

"What?" I asked coughing out loud.

"I-I m-mean eat the food I made." She said scratching her forehead and shutting her eyes tightly.

"Okay..." I snickered looking at her red face.

"Don't do it. Don't snicker. It isn't that funny." She gritted her teeth and I just smirked at the response.

She glared at me but continued eating her breakfast.

After completing my breakfast, I stood up taking my phone which I place on the table earlier.

I looked at her to see her breakfast is almost finished.

"Do you want to come with me? I can drop you." I said and she stopped eating. She looked up at me with widened eyes.

"Do you want me to come with you?" she asked me and I shrugged my shoulders.

She stood up giving me a smile.

"Sure." She answered and I nodded.

She stood up and rushed towards her bedroom to get her phone when she sprained her leg and was about to fall.