Chapter 1

LAUREN

Life is boring when you don't get what you want. We ignore the exciting parts in life while being busy gloomy about every other stuff.

With a groan, I rubbed the sleep off my eyes when I felt hot sun rays on my face, peeking through the windows.

Reluctantly, I got up and sat on the bed but still continued to sleep with my eyes closed, as if I could. To be honest, I think I can.

Shaking the sleep off, I looked around my messy room and mentally decided to clean it tomorrow. It's not like I have any plans today but I think I have a habit of postponing the tasks.

Glancing at the clock, I sighed when it is still eight in the morning. I contemplated between waking up and be productive all day or just take another catnap. Giving in to the latter option, I returned to my bed and closed my eyes and just as I am entering to my very own dream land, reality pulled me back with my mom's voice followed by her footsteps.

"Lauren!"

I got up from my bed in a blink when I heard my mom's voice and wearily walked to the door to open it.

"You haven't woken up yet?" She asked me pulling her eyebrows together and giving me a scary look. I stood in front of her with a cheeky smile, not knowing how to answer her question and before I could, thank God, she spoke again.

"Fresh up and come downstairs quickly." She spoke and after getting a quick 'yes' from me, she walked away and I closed the door with a sigh.

I decided to give up on my catnap for now and made my way towards my bathroom to take a shower.

After brushing my teeth and quickly taking a shower I decided to wear a dark green colour sweatshirt along with some blue jeans. I looked in the mirror, brushing my brown wavy hair down and countless thoughts in my head which were quiet till now reared up again.

My life has always been simple till now. A mother who is strict as hell but I know she loves me. I think I do. And my father is also a great man. He has always been there for me and has always loved me than anyone else ever could. My father is a sweet loving person and I love him a lot.

I have always lead a comfortable life with my father being a businessman and my mother being one of the best doctors in the city. My life is content with my family and a best friend. I have never seen the real world, atleast not from my view. It has always been through a peephole and I'm not sure if I even want to. But now that I'm twenty- four, I have an okay-ish academic knowledge but not real-time work experience and I want to change that.

But reality is harsh to everyone. No matter the rich or poor, when something is not meant for you, it will never be yours. It's been almost three months and I haven't grabbed a job yet.

I thought job search would be a cake walk, but it's not. And somewhere along the way, this is affecting me and I know it. It's hard to accept that you are not getting what you want.

Not now. I spoke to myself taking a few deep breaths and my head felt free for now. I smiled looking at my reflection, and a new hope is building up inside me with this new day. With a final glance, I walked downstairs.

My father was sitting at the dining table, talking to his secretary in the phone. I walked in and took a seat beside him. He gave me a smile when he saw me and ended the call after a minute.

"Good morning, sweetheart."

"Morning, dad." I beamed at him. He smiled at me and I just know that he is happy that I'm here with him.

"So what are your plans for today, honey?" I turned towards him and shrugged my shoulders.

"Nothing much, dad. I've applied for a few companies and currently waiting for the replies." My father nodded at me.