Chapter 44: In Arms of a Beautiful Man

Magsimula sa umpisa

These words stimulated Shen Jintai. Often times, there's only one chance to become popular in a lifetime. He had to seize it!

The scene for <The East Palace is Coming> had reached the sadistic part. As Li Meilan said, it was particularly mentally consuming. Shen Jintai read the script and adjusted his emotion. He felt his whole being was bereft.

The Empress' funeral had passed. The crown prince remained imprisoned in the East Palace where even Li Xu couldn't reach him. On the other hand, the energetic He Lanbi relied on her protagonist halo and was able to infiltrate the network. After getting in touch with the right contacts, she entrusted them to contact Zhou Jing on her behalf. Zhou Jing refused to see her.

She then entrusted someone to contact Li Xu. Their situation was both pitiful so he would certainly sympathize with her. She was the righteous daughter of the Xiao clan and was originally betrothed to the crown prince. Now that the Xiao clan has fallen, she was forced to enter the palace as a slave. She had never touched spring water* yet now she had to wash clothes every day.

*Reminder: ten fingers don't touch spring water = refers to a spoiled or pampered person, usually a woman from a wealthy family.

They felt sorry for each other and developed a bond. It's just that the friends of today may be enemies of tomorrow. The plotline where the heroine and her best friend turn against each other is a must for palace fighting dramas. <The East Palace is Coming> was unusual, in that the best friend was a man.

"This is for you." He Lanbi took out a piece of jade from her arms. It was a warm-textured white jade pendant with a pair of mandarin ducks craved in it. Li Xu instantly recognized it. It belonged to the crown prince.

Li Xu took it in his hand and hurriedly asked: "How did you get this?"

He Lanbi: "Two days ago, I asked my sisters from the Garment Bureau to switch places with me. Taking the opportunity to deliver clothes to the East Palace, I went and met with elder prince brother."

"How is he doing? Is he alright?" Li Xu asked anxiously.

He Lanbi shook her head and said: "He's very ill that he became so thin, but the doctors refuse to treat him."

Li Xu's eyes turned red holding the jade pendant as he sat by He Lanbi.

He Lanbi said: "Elder prince brother asked me to give this to you as a keepsake. Don't go to the East Palace anymore. He said you must live well before you have a chance to save him in the future."

Li Xu knew that He Lanbi spoke the truth. It was something Zhou Jing would say. He prayed that Zhou Ying would be okay by himself, won't be implicated, and be able to live a good life.

"We both have to live well," He Lanbi said with tears in her eyes: "Those who harmed us and those who harmed the elder prince brother are all still alive well."

Yes. They were all living well with a promising future.

Li Xu clenched the jade pendant in his hand and said: "I am just a little eunuch. With him, I am a man. Without him, I am nothing."

He Lanbi: "Eunuchs have highs and lows. The second prince has a ruthless heart and looks promising. If you follow him, you may become a Bingbi eunuch* and eventually the palm print eunuch*. Look at father-in-law Gao* who sits above 10,000 people." He Lanbi said: "I will also be the favorite concubine and the Empress in the future. Let's join forces to repair the Xiao clan and avenge elder prince brother."

*Bingbi eunuch (秉笔太监) = eunuch in charge of internal affairs such as court etiquette, correction of internal officials. It is the second highest position in the eunuch system only to the palm print eunuch. It's considered a very high position. (Ming dynasty)
*Palm print eunuch (掌印太監) = full name is the "eunuch of the secretary of ceremony and the eunuch of the palm seal" is the highest seat in the eunuch system. Main responsibility is the final decision maker in various national policies and in charge of the government treasury. (Ming dynasty)
*Father-in-law Gao (高公公) = refers to . He was advisor to . He was a very powerful advisor. He's usually depicted as an eunuch (for some reason). (Ming dynasty)