Chapter 26: The Lowest

Everyone, relieved not going to the Vale for another week, were doing their normal schedules since we were in Astera.

Hunter was helping out in the tradeyard with his palico, Sparky who was interestingly more energetic than Chip, which was saying something.

Emily was training with her new Tzitzit ya-ku gear, Chip was helping out in the Canteen, Nessie and Emily were looking in a book they got from the Research Base, and Runt was at the Research Base. Me and Buzz, we were hunting for ourselves, we were still Zinogres.

"I like aptonoth meat better than kestedon's" She told me while eating from a dead one that we hunted "Yeah well I'm not picky." I said while eating from a different carcass.

"Well well well look who we have." A female voice said. Me and Buzz turned to face the source of the voice and found a Great Jagras who charged at us, missing us. It swallowed the two aptanoth we hunted whole "HEY! Those were ours!" Buzz yelled at her, "Sorry, but I got a pack to feed." She said to us "I'LL SHOW YOU A PACK!" Buzz yelled before charging at it and slashing at it making it roar in pain and retreated before Buzz started running after it but I stopped her before she could kill it, "What gives!?" Buzz yelled at me "Well, you can't kill just because it ate our food!" I yelled at her "How do you know!?" She replied, "Because Emily taught me this is part of the ecosystem, Great Jagras will take others' kills to feed its pack!!" I yelled "Why do you trust her?" Buzz asked me "Because every time she had a chance to kill me she didn't, that's why I trust her." I replied "Oh, well that makes some sense... but Wulg do that and when you think you're safe you aren't." Buzz said "Yeah? Well Emily isn't a Wulg she's a human." I told her.

As me and Buzz sat by the river that flowed by I wondered what it would be like to be human, "Should we head back?" Buzz asked, "Sure." I replied and with that we went back to Astera.