Chapter 7 - He Fucking Missed Her

Beginne am Anfang

"Come visit Velaris before you call it dreary." Rhys answered Helion with an easy smile, elbowing him back and expertly smoothing over any building tension.

Like Helion, Azriel found himself unable to tear his eyes from the trio as they descended toward the party to the thrum of the beat. He noticed Feyre sensing her mate before Nesta, locking eyes with Rhys, smiling with pleasure, and no doubt having a mind-to-mind conversation. Nesta looked over the partygoers with her typical mask of disinterested aloofness, a comically long dagger peeking out from the slit in her dress.

Valkyrie's , Azriel laughed to himself.

And though she may have been walking beside The High Lady of The Night Court and Lady Death herself, it was Elain who truly shone. Her hair was lifted up, a curled halo around her sunlit face. Her eyes open wide in surprise at the raucous festivities, her glistening lips parted and gleaming with rose colored pigment.

Azriel's eyes traveled to her collarbones jutting elegantly from her gown beneath layers of golden necklaces, her small waist pulled in with the peach fabric leading down toward her thighs, the tight fabric showing off every inch of her form.

She was radiant. Devastatingly beautiful.

And Azriel could sense every single fae male in the party taking notice, including a tall red haired male that she was now smiling toward shyly, his hand outstretched toward her at the bottom of the staircase.

Lucien .

Azriel felt his wings flare even wider against his will, blood rushing to his head, adrenaline surging.

He was grateful that Rhys was distracted by Feyre because it was taking everything in Azriel's power to stop himself from launching into the sky and swooping over to Elain, snatching her up and vacating The Day Court altogether before her perfect hand could reach the fox.

But he could not.

Because she was here by her own choice.

Elain wanted to be here; and what she desired, he would protect.

Tucking his wings in, Azriel ducked his head, but not before he realized that Nesta had finally spotted hte males. And although he knew Cassian was nearby, it was Azriel whom her eyes bore into. He looked away, drawing up a mask of disinterest, not unlike the one she had just commanded.

Watching Elain take Lucien's hand and allow him to lead her to the dance floor, Azriel suddenly realized that coming to this party might have been a bad idea.

゚☆: *.☽ ─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ─── ☽ .* :☆゚

Elain was surprisingly grateful to spot Lucien in the unfamiliar crowd.

The drums, beaming sunset, warm breeze, and heavy scents of floral pollen, spicy foods, and rich wine caused her senses to go in overdrive. She felt overwhelmed and shy in front of the many eyes staring at her in curiosity, but she had also never felt so exhillerated.

Coming to a different court was a good idea. None of the fae knew her here. They didn't know she was shy, or quiet, or that she preferred gardening to fighting in battle. They didn't even know that this type of party being thrown in her honor was honestly laughable... but it felt good. It was like she could pretend to be someone else for the night.

Reaching toward Lucien's outstretched hand, she allowed him to lead her into the fray, her eyes grazing across the scene before her.

The sun was cresting the horizon, dipping just below the twinkling lights of lower Patras. Guests wearing gowns of sweeping ivory tied with golden chains and ribbons pulsed to the beat of the drums, dancing closely, laughing in groups, and tossing back glass after glass of Helion's fae wine. She noticed a few topless females grinding up against their male counterparts on the dance floor. Eyes followed the couple and the two sisters following behind as they walked together toward the center of the party.

The throng parted in a wide berth around a roped-off lounging area in the middle of the courtyard. Elain noticed Helion at the helm of the exclusive gathering, and to her surprise, he was standing next to Rhys with Cassian a few steps forward, eyes locked on Nesta.

"You look nice." Lucien leaned down to whisper in her ear, barely audible over the surrounding music.

She smiled in response and looked back toward her brother-in-law, unable to prevent her eyes from darting to the space beyond his shoulders, searching for shadows.

"The lady of the evening!" Helion bellowed, greeting Elain with a lingering kiss on both cheeks, stepping past Rhysand to survey her. "The Day Court suits you my dear." He smiled lustily, taking her hand and swinging her away from him, appraising her gown, and no doubt, the curves beneath it.

Elain heard a soft hiss from Lucien, and Helion dutifully released her back into his grasp.

"Jewels of The Night Court, nestled in The Day Court at last and ready to have some REAL fun." Helion concluded his charming, nodding toward Lucien and striding past them, greeting Thesan, who was standing with his lover and a glass of wine near an enormous sweating ice sculpture of a swan.

"You do look glowing." Elain turned to see Rhysand smiling at her and her sisters.

The compliment was no doubt intended exclusively for Feyre, but Elain thanked him nonetheless, unable to stop her eyes from dragging over his other shoulder expectantly.

Cassian strode forward, grasping Nesta around the waist, leading her wordlessly onto the dance floor, his hands clutching her hips as he leaned down, causing her to laugh and reach a hand back toward his backside. Feyre chuckled at Cassian's possessive behavior before allowing Rhys to also lead her onto the dance floor, leaving her alone with Lucien.

And although there were many shadows lingering around the glowing torchlights, Elain failed to find the ones which her heart wanted to see the most.