The Monster

Forrest's POV

I left her, crying in her room. I know I'm an asshole, but I have things to do. I needed to go and finish the payment to the man I was talking to in the pub. Shrugging my shoulders into my coat, I adjusted the dagger on my leg and headed out.

I closed the door quietly. God, I pray that the man hadn't told anyone that the princess was here in town, or even that she was out of the castle. We'd be torn apart before the meeting tomorrow if anyone knew. 

The air was quiet, and I was angry. More than angry. Protective? No. I don't know how to describe it. I've never felt this way. The best way I could describe it was a sense of survival. Me and Ember were tied. If I died, she wouldn't survive, not without the street smarts of Primroses towns and people. If she died, word would come out about the princess being dead, and everyone who had seen me with her would rat me out for a single ruby. 

There was something else too. It had nothing to do with consequences or other people. 

My boots crunched as I walked through the empty town, the moon highlighting my path to the pub. I knew it by heart though. Me and my friends would come here after lessons and have a drink. 

I slid through an alley, a shortcut to the pub. As I walked, I got an uneasy feeling in the back of my mind. Something was off. As I walked faster, I felt someone grab me around my neck.

"Where is she?!" The voice said. His voice. 

"Like I would ever tell you." I hissed, struggling.

"Tell me, or I'll kill you right here." His hands held my throat, tugging at me, forcing the remaining air I had out of me. My hands fumbled for my dagger, as my seconds passed. 

"Then pray to God I go to heaven." 

And with that, I took my dagger, and plunged it into his leg. He swore loudly, almost screaming, and reached for his own. He lunged towards me, and I barely escape the sharp glint of the knife.  I lunged towards him and gave the deadening blow. He fell, dead. 

I was a monster, but now Ember would never have to be. 

END FORREST POV