The Kind Spy?

I woke up when it was dark. My wrists felt raw, my throat burned, and my mouth tasted like my own blood. A small amount to pay for the rescue Forrest bestowed. 

I turned and saw him on the floor. My feet slid out of the sheets, and I noticed that I was still in my bloody clothes, but my face had been cleaned, and the wound on my cheek had a bandage on it. 

As I set my weight on my feet, I collapsed. Okay, ow. I guess I broke or sprained something. I sat on the ground, holding my ankle, taking deep breaths. 

"Ember." A voice on the ground said, and I saw Forrest turning towards me, rubbing his eyes. My eyes drew towards the blood on his cheek, near his ear. His hands followed my gaze and touched his wound. 

"I'm fine. " He asked, lifting my ankle and looking at it. "You?"

"No. I think I may have sprained something when he tossed me." I said, pointing to my foot. 

"Thanks genius. But it was me who tossed you." He said, giving me a look and turned to his bag. He gestured for me to sit on the side of the bed. I let myself be shocked when my foot was lowered into ice water. 

"Why are you being so nice? Or at least not completely horrible?" I asked, letting my hands curl up in my lap, running over the stained blood. 

He was silent for a moment. 

"We might not be the best of friends, but I don't want you dead." He laughed dryly. 

"Yes, well thanks." I said quietly, thinking. "It hurt me when I was young, and now... knowing that I could never be considered an heir to the throne simply because I am a woman. I could only have what was always mine if I was married."

Forrest was silent, looking at me. My tears stained my face and dripped onto the blood that stained my shirt.

"If I have learned one thing about you, Ember, it's that marriage has and will never define you." He said, grabbing his dagger, holding it in his fist. He was angry, but not towards me. I took a shaky breath.

"Marriage should not define anyone. That is why I want to crush this rebellion. If I do that, then the nobles will let me rule, and I can give other women the opportunities that I never had. Freedom." 

Forrest was silent. I felt the mattress move as he rose from the place where he was seated. 

I looked up at him from my tear-stained eyes, that made my vision blurry. 

"That is a cause I can get behind. I still want my land, title, and money when I'm done helping you with this though." And with that, he left, dagger in hand.