3.25.5 | Broken Halo

Start from the beginning

I couldn't believe how worried I was about her, but I was. And I was starting to like her a heck lot more than a person should like someone in this time span.

I knew my heart was in trouble, but did I care? No.

. . . ∞ . ∞ . ∞ . ∞. . .

With my mind preoccupied as I walked out of the parking area and towards my building, I almost missed it. When it struck, I stopped and turned around. Sure enough, there it was. Red Ferrari. I'm used to seeing the cars of the flat tenants. None of them own that red Ferrari except this ferocious woman I've come to know.

As if with sixth sense, the hair at the back of my neck stood. Holding my breath, I faced the building again. There was Lavanya, walking out. Her head was lowered as she watched where she was walking and then she looked up.

Given I was straight in her line of vision, she paused. It was obvious she was hoping to leave unseen and that even if she'd come here, she'd changed her mind and decided to leave without checking if I was home. If she'd tried to get to the lift and take it up to my floor, I'd know. The security system would have pinged my cell, asking me whether to allow the lift to be taken to my floor since I had the penthouse.

Reaching her, I said as if I hadn't just received a frantic call from Khushi, "Hey, come on up?"

She still tried to talk her way out of it, "Hi, uh, you look like you're just getting back from work. I don't want to bother you. I was leaving anyway."

When she walked around me, I reached back to hook my index finger with hers. She turned slightly to face me, raising her brows. "It's never a bother to see you, Lavanya. Let's go up? It'd be nice to not have to eat dinner by myself." Her mouth opened and I got the feeling she'd continue to fight it. "Please?"

Then, she sighed and nodded her head to the side in a cue. When I started to walk, sliding my hand to her palm instead of our hooked fingers, she tugged. "My hand."

"Have a problem with me holding your hand?"

"Yes."

I held tighter. "Get used to it."

I wasn't letting go.

It was surprising that after that initial comment, she didn't fight it. Maybe it had something to do with the day she'd had. Otherwise, I was pretty sure she'd say or do something in return to show me who's boss.

I'd take the small victories where I could.

. . . ∞ . ∞ . ∞ . ∞. . .

After telling her to make herself comfortable, I retired briefly to my room to change into less formal clothes. Once in my room, I also left a message for Khushi so they wouldn't continue to be worried when they wouldn't find her at the office or her apartment. Five minutes later, I returned to the living area where she was sitting with her heels tucked away in a corner. She looked up sensing my shadow, "So, heated leftovers or something fresh?"

"I'm really not picky. Whatever you're in the mood for."

"Okay, then, I hope you like spinach rice."

"Really?"

"Mhmm, I made spinach daal fry the other day and there's a ton of rice."

Her lips quirked slightly in an amused smile, "Okay, then."

Leaving her be for a few more minutes, I moved into the kitchen to mix and reheat the two dishes in two separate bowls. Returning and handing one to her, I sat on the couch at the other end, turning so that I was facing her the same way she had her back against the arm of the couch. For a few minutes, she was quiet as she ate.