Chapter 7: Rooted in Power

As per usual, Sky and Alyx stood outside by the fountain under a beautiful night sky. Despite the calm surroundings, Sky could feel a sense of nervousness in the air.

"She should have come back by now," Sky said.

"Maybe she got distracted. I know she hasn't had time to see her boyfriend since that night we got our powers."

"That's true, but she said she was just going to meet with Mr. Cord to get us masks."

"Someone call for me?" Mr. Cord stepped out from the shadows, still dressed in his teaching attire. At his side, he had his signature bag that looked like an oversized book.

"Mr. Cord, did Julianna come by your room?" Sky asked.

"No, I can't say she did. Why? What's happened?"

"She went to you asking if we could get masks from the drama department."

"I haven't seen her since you guys left. Something's not right. Let's get to the garden."

Mr. Cord led the path to the garden, which appeared to be viler than when Sky and Alyx passed it earlier in the evening. Thick vines and roots surrounded the small archway into the garden. A dome of roots had formed over the garden, nearly the size of a house.

"That can't be good," Mr. Cord said.

"What happened?!" Alyx said.

"Whoever has the stone must be capable of controlling plants. You girls wait here, I'll go get Brian. We may need his help after all." Mr. Cord dropped his bag and took off toward the boys' dormitory. As soon as Mr. Cord was out of sight, Alyx constructed an axe and began to swing away at the plant matter blocking the entrance.

"Mr. Cord said to wait," Sky said.

"Between you and me, we don't need Brian. Besides, what if Julianna is in there?"

"We're supposed to be a team," said Sky.

"The only people who truly matter are you and Julianna. Brian is just being bossy, Dipsy and Lala aren't doing much, and Mr. Cord is trying to organize all of us into some superhero club."

"You've literally only had these powers for a couple of days."

"And I'll make the most of them." With one last mighty swing, Alyx managed to cut out an opening into the garden dome.

The moonlight was bright, shining through the openings between the roots. The sisters followed a narrow pathway through the vines, hoping to make contact with anyone.

As the two walked deeper into the unknown, they could smell the sweet aroma of honey. It was only a matter of time until they reached a clearing. In the wide-open space was a garden of beautiful flowers, with a wooden throne in the middle. Sitting upon the throne was a red-haired girl in a green sweater. A pair of green glasses sat upon the girl's pale face, slightly above a pattern of freckles.

Next to the throne was a mighty oak tree with a big slab of sap on its trunk. Encased in the hardened tree sap was Julianna, fast asleep. Alyx clenched her fists at the sight of her trapped friend.

"Have you come looking for something?" the girl asked, confused as to who her guests were.

"We've come for our friend. The one you have trapped in the tree," Alyx said.

"She chopped down one of my trees. She must be punished for her actions. Although, if it weren't for her, I would not have this." Out from the sweater pocket came a green gemstone, shining without a smudge.

"That belongs to me!" Sky said.

"Who are you anyway?" Alyx asked.

"My name is Barbara. I speak for all the plants and animals of the world."