Chapter Twenty-Three: Shortening Deadlines

Clementine and Minnie's footsteps echoed down the empty hallways of the barracks. They skidded around a corner, their shoes squeaking on the tiled floors.

"If Reagan thinks we need everyone to be there for the assault, it's going to be a bloodbath." Minnie huffed.

"He's a real pragmatist, isn't he?" Clem said dryly, trying to cut the tension with a joke.

Clem shoved open the heavy door to their barracks and was greeted by Louis, Violet, Marlon, Brody Sophie and AJ all gathered in the centre of the room.

"Clem, did you hear what that guy said?" Louis asked frantically.

"I heard." She nodded.

"Looks like our deadline's moved up." Marlon muttered.

Clem and Minnie joined the circle.

"So what is the plan exactly?" Minnie asked, looking sideways at Clem.

"You know that big steamship?" She said, "we're going to steal it."

Minnie looked at her in stunned silence.

"You're going to steal it?" She repeated.

"Yep."

"Why that one specifically?"

"It's basically a floating fortress. It's also the only one that doesn't need keys to start the engine." Louis explained.

"The docks have a skeleton crew at night, no more than six guards including the control tower." Clem said, "so we sneak up there, deal with the guard and get the gate open, then sabotage the winch so they can't close it."

"One issue, how are we gonna stop them from following us? We were going to steal the other keys and toss them in the water, but they aren't exactly open about telling us where they are." Violet said.

"The boat keys would be somewhere inside central command, but there's no chance any of us could get into there, the security's too tight." Minnie said.

"I might have an idea." Sophie chimed in, "it's a little insane though."

"Insane is better than nothing, lets hear it." Minnie said.

"Remember the day I came back, when you guys were unpacking the boat?"

Minnie, Clem and AJ nodded.

"That stuff was all captured from an enemy outpost. One of the boxes was totally full of explosives and remote detonators."

"Do any of us actually know how to use that stuff?" Brody asked, looking around the circle.

Sophie slowly raised her hand with a flat look on her face.
Minnie snapped around to look at her in disbelief.

"Since when?"

"One of the old army guys I was stationed with was an bomb disposal expert, he taught me." Sophie shrugged, "I was thinking, if we blow up all the other boats, then they'll have nothing to chase us with."

Everybody stared at her blankly.

"Isn't planting bombs on every boat in the harbour a little... involved?" Clem asked.