7

▱❏▣▒▨▓▦░▤▓ ㋡ ▓▤░▦▓▨▒▣❏▱

Charlotte's heart is beating out of her chest as she's looking at the unfamiliar number on her screen.

She knows it's him though so before Wilbur could hang up, she riles up the courage and taps her finger on the accept button.

She puts it on speaker because in all honesty, she's way too tired to hold the phone to her ear. Not to mention the sudden shaking of her hands which would also make the task difficult.

"Now did she give me the real number or-"
comes the unmistakable deep voice of Wilbur Soot from her phone.

She clears her throat to shake the sleepines out of her voice, but she's not completely successful since it still comes out a bit raspy when she finally replies.

"I'm offended Mr.Soot. Do you really think that low of me?" she teases the boy.

Wilbur would lie if he said that hearing her voice leaves him totally unaffected. This is the first time that the two of them are talking alone and he's painfully aware of it.

"Oh darling, of course not." he chuckles "But it's still a relief, the possibility is always there."

"I wouldn't do that to you." she says with a gentle voice.

"Stop it or I might blush Charlie." he grins at the girl's words, even though she's not able to see it.
She sounded genuine and Wilbur couldn't be happier about it.

"I think I'll take that risk."

"Don't try me Charlotte, it's not funny." he pouts, his tone more serious now.

"Is that an order-" she takes a break for dramatic effect before finishing her sentence.
"Sir?"

The way Charlie challenged him and her choice of words made his face warm up.
That nickname just caught him off guard.

After a few seconds he gathers his composure though, so after clearing his throat he decides that he will put on his big boy pants and be bold.
After all, what's there for him to lose?

Wilbur takes a deep breath before tapping on his screen, requesting to switch to a video call.

When it connects his eyes meet Charlie's, getting lost in them immediately.

After a moment of silent admiration he leans closer to the camera, dropping his voice to a harsh whisper.
"If it was you would know it for sure, Charlotte."

All Charlie can do is stare at him with her mouth dropping slightly. She didn't expect this boldness from Wilbur at all, not that she's complaining.
It was rather hot in her opinion.

Suddenly there's a soft meow coming from her door, breaking the pair out of their intense staring contest.

"Hold on a sec." she says before putting her phone down, but it ends up facing towards the door so Wilbur can still watch what she's doing.