Epilogue: Rub-A-Dub-Dub

The minute Daisy had forgiven me, the fae had also forgiven me for my stupidity.

"Fiú is féidir le duine dúr foghlaim," they told me as if they were making a great concession to me. Even a stupid one can learn.

I guess that was true since I'd proven I could.

I'm sorry," I told them sincerely. "I wasn't a good king for you, and for that, I apologize and ask your forgiveness."

"Tá tú tar éis éirí fiúntach," the fae finally said. You have become worthy.

Next to Daisy telling me she loved me, I treasured those words from the fae, the vote of confidence it represented from them. I meant to continue to earn and deserve their respect, the same way I had promised myself I would work to be worthy of Daisy every single day of my life.

When Mom found out Daisy had agreed to marry me, she morphed into someone I'd only seen once before and that had been when she was planning Harmony's wedding. And quite frankly, this new version of Mom was no one I ever wanted to see again.

Hatch was frantically trying to find a reason to take a security job to get the hell out of Dodge, but Harmony was having none of it, especially since she was heavily pregnant with their second child. 

"Just keep the fuck out of her way, fairy boy," Bitch advised me, his eyes darting around as if my mother was going to pop out from behind a corner at any moment. "And if you can't, just agree to whatever the fuck she wants you to do. I've never been afraid of anything in my life, but your mother was fucking scary. I still think about that look in her eyes when she asked me if I'd planned the honeymoon yet."

He shuddered and I rolled my eyes.

"Good thing I'm not a pussy," I told Bitch, and he bared his teeth at me. 

"You'll be eating those words, fairy boy. And I can't wait to watch you choke on them."

He wasn't wrong. And the fae were no help. I ordered them to let me know when my mother was coming, and instead, the evil little fuckers, who were still making me pay for my long run of stupidity, cloaked Mom from me until it was too late to hide from her.

"Teacht ar do liathróidí," they snickered at me. Find your balls.

Family dinners had become more like war meetings, and my mother was the motherfucking four-star general mustering the troops.

"You," she pointed her fork at me very aggressively one night when she found out I hadn't completed a wedding assignment from her, "haven't been any help."

"I find it so sad when a man won't become more involved in his own wedding plans," Hatch sighed sadly, kissing up to my mother. Lightning flashed outside, and when Mom turned her attention back from my brother-in-law, he smirked at me, knowing the display outside meant we'd be rumbling later.

Through all the planning, Daisy-my-Daisy remained calm and serene, soothing me when I complained about my mother's dictatorial attitude. She distracted me with her foolproof methods, which is why we'd gotten pregnant about two minutes after her six-week checkup when her doctor cleared her for fun.

"What do you expect?" she'd teased me as she waved the pregnancy test at me. "We weren't using anything to prevent it. You refused!"

"Why bother?" I'd asked her with a shrug. "I could have had a vasectomy, been wrapped up in ten condoms, you could be on birth control, have an IUD and be using a diaphragm and it wouldn't matter. The fairies are going to give us babies no matter what until their breeding kink is satisfied."