Chapter-28 Why?

Karthik's POV

"Are you ok, Karthik? What happened?" She asked tensely.

I gripped her hand and walked out from there, as it was suffocating me so much. I collapsed on the floor as soon as I got out of there.

"Karthik." her worried voice traveled through my ears as I looked at her.

I hugged her desperately without uttering a word. She wrapped her hands around me securely and started ruffling my hair to soothe me.

"Are you ok now?" She asked, as I came out of her embrace after a few minutes.

"Yeah, I am fine," I replied slowly.

"I am afraid of fire as the past incident left me trauma," I muttered, and she held my trembling hand. Her eyes watered as she looked at me and I could see pain in her eyes.

"I am sorry, Karthik. I don't know that," she remarked and gave me the water which was brought by the waitress as she ordered.

"It's ok, Megha, it's not your fault. I should have told you before," I said after calming down in her embrace.

Her eyes watered as she looked at me, and I gave her a small smile. I wiped her tears and stood up, then helped her stand up.

"Let's go, I don't want to waste our time," I remarked and started walking, holding her hand.

"Are you ok now?" she asked to confirm again.

"Yeah, I am fine." I smiled slightly at her.

"Wait, I will drive," she said and climbed into the car and I sat in the passenger seat.

"I will take you to eat where I used to eat, and that's my favorite place. It's not a luxurious place, but a place I can afford in my past."
"Will you come to that place?" she asked softly.

"Gladly, my wife," I said, and held her hand in mine and intertwined my fingers with her.

"Just relax," she said and played soft music. I closed my eyes, feeling peaceful like I never felt.

After 15 minutes, she called me and I opened my eyes just to see my wife's smiling face.

"Karthik, we are here," she said and got out of the car and opened the car door for me.

"This is not a luxurious restaurant, but the food will be very tasty," she commented and I smiled while holding her hand as we started walking in.

We both entered and an old lady welcomed us.

"I thought you forgot us," that lady said to Megha in a complaining voice.

"How can I, Aunt? "she said and gave her a warm hug, which made that lady's smile widened.

"I am going to my regular place," she remarked and grabbed my hand and took me to the open terrace

There is only a single table in the middle, and the light is dim. The place is filled with many plants, and the sweet smell of the flowers is creating a relaxing atmosphere.

"It was my favorite place," she said and dragged a chair for me, then she took the opposite chair.

"Isn't it me who is supposed to drag the chair for you?" I commented after we both settled at the table.

"Who told you?" She asked lightly.

I looked at her, amused. "No one but", I tried to explain, but she cut me off saying "it is not a rule that only men have to drag the chair for women. I really don't like these stereotypes".