Chapter- 21 venting out

Start from the beginning

"Dad, you know I thought you were the reason for mom's death, not fully but partially," he remarked.

"I know," his father mumbled, closing his eyes for a second.

"If you would have switched off the microwave that day when mom told you, today my mom would be alive with us and I blame it on you. I am tired of just being silent and not saying anything." Karthik voiced his feelings.

"You can blame me. I am also regretting and I am blaming myself for it, but that day I was in a hurry. I thought I had switched it off, but I wasn't. I didn't know my small mistake cost my wife's death," his father replied with guilt tears beaming in his eyes.

"Why are you in a hurry? You didn't even have one minute to stop," Karthik yelped.

"Because Anjali was in danger and I had to be there to save her," his father replied.

"What?"

"Yeah, someone kidnapped Anjali. She somehow escaped and called me, but when I was asking where she was, those bastards caught her again.
If I had gone a little late, then she would have died in their hands, but when I came back with my daughter, my wife died."

"It was hard for me too, Sid, for being the reason for my wife's death indirectly, and emotionally disconnected from my son," he said in a shaky voice as he was on the verge of crying.

"You don't believe me. Many days I slept on the floor in front of your room just to make sure that you are safe," his father cried.

"This is why Anjali never blamed you," Karthik asked and his dad nodded.

Now, Karthik understood that he lost his mother, unfortunately, and he missed his father's warmth unnecessarily.

"I am sorry, dad," Karthik whispered. He felt so many emotions right at that moment.

"It's ok, but can you give this old father a hug... it's OK if you don't want to but at least talk to me," his dad begged.

Karthik's heart ached looking at his father. It was he who made his dad this pathetic. He hated himself for making his father that vulnerable.

"Dad," he called helplessly and hugged him.

His father hugged him back, saying, "I missed this from all these years."

They chatted for a while, Karthik asked all his doubts and his father cleared them with patience, and then he went to their room after bidding goodbye to his dad.

Megha was sitting on the bed, looking at her mobile, when he entered the room. Hearing the door sound, she looked up and her eyes locked with his. He walked to her without breaking eye contact and sat before her.

"How was your talk, Karthik? Have you heard his side?" She asked expectedly.

"Yeah, and it was good. We reunited, all thanks to you," he replied and held her hand.

"I am glad that your relationship became normal. You know he loves you so much. He used to tell me how much you meant to him," Megha commented with a small smile.

"Thank you so much for coming into my life, Megha," he said suddenly, which surprised her.

"So, someone doesn't hate me anymore," she grinned, and he smiled.

"Megha, can I sleep on your lap?" he asked quietly after a small pause.

"Come on," she said and made him sleep on her lap, and started stroking his hair gently.

He opened his mouth to say something, but stopped.

"You wanna talk about mom?" She asked, softly.

"Can I?" He questioned, looking at her.

"You can, Karthik. You don't have to ask me... I am always there for you to listen," she confessed.

He looked at her for a minute and started talking about his mom.

"She was very beautiful, with hazel eyes and long hair. She was a psychiatrist, very gentle and caring. A kind human being. She used to help as many as she could."

"You know, we used to play a lot and she would play with me like a kid whenever I asked her. She loves me a lot, and I love her more."

"Suddenly I lost her... Lost my everything," he remarked and his voice turned hoarse.

"Would you mind if I ask how did she__ I mean---"

"Fire accident," he said, as he understood what she was going to ask.

"It was the day my mom invited someone over for dinner. She cooked everything by herself and put a cake in the microwave. All the servants were in the garden arranging for dinner as mom wanted us to have dinner in the garden as the guest likes plants so much, while mom and I were in my room playing."

"Mom told dad to switch off the microwave before he headed out, but he didn't. My mom was with me in my room so we didn't know that he didn't switch it off... It happened suddenly."

"My mom used to have a friend who is just a 7 years old girl. I don't know who she was, but mom told me that's her friend's daughter. She loved that girl dearly. They both have a special bond. She used to tell me that the girl will grow up beautiful and smart."

"She used to tell me that the little one is her daughter-in-law. If you both are ok when you grow up, then I will marry her to you. She used to say that."

"That day mom told us she invited that little one to our home. My sister went to a special class and my father left home in a hurry. Only mom and I are at home. We were so lost in our conversation that we didn't notice the burning fire around us".

"We were upstairs, because the fire stairs collapsed. There was no way out, but my mom didn't panic. She searched for a way out. When she confirmed that there was no way out, she took my heavy bed sheet and soaked it in water, then she wrapped that sheet around me and took me to the window which was burning".

"She stopped the fire with her hands and She kissed my forehead. 'Karthik, mom loves you so much. Take care of yourself and take care of my little one if you can', she said and smiled at me one last time, then she picked me up and threw me out of the window."

"Before I processed what she was doing, I was in the swimming pool. She was smart. She calculated my safety in that situation too and saved me."

"I was screaming from the top of my lungs. Mom, mom, but she didn't come.
When I tried to go in, Aunt Nirmala stopped me. Crying hard, I collapsed on the floor."

"After a few minutes my dad came, the fire engine too. They spotted my mom and took her out, but she was already burned to death."

"They didn't allow me to look at her, at least for the last time, saying I am still a child." he stopped and took a deep breath to control his emotions.

"And that was the last smile I got from her," he said, and his voice broke. Megha tightened her hold on his hand, assuring him that she was there for him.

"And what about that little girl?" she asked.

"I don't know about her. I didn't talk with anyone for six months. After that I tried to find her but I couldn't find her. I lost my mom and her last wish too," he said guiltily.

"It's ok, Karthik, we will try once again now," she said and squeezed his hand.

"But, Karthik, mom is brave and smart. Can I see her?" she asked cutely.

"Hmm," he hummed and took a photo frame from the drawer beside the bed and showed it to her.

"That's my mom su---"

"Aunt Sunandha," Megha completed his sentence...

***

Hehe I was joking about heart break in last chapter.. 😜

So how is today's update?? Tell me in comments.. ❣️

💜💜