VI

"Are you dressin' up for Enid?"

Jeanette pauses applying her lipstick and shoots Carl a glance. "Maybe..."

"Oh, well, she's not there."

The lipstick clatters to the ground and she looks at him in shock. "Wh-what?"

He shrugs. "She left. Alexandria."

"Well, that's just—" she runs a hand through her freshly made bun and then slams her head against the window. "Fuck!"

She can see Carl watching her reaction with a fucking smirk and blinks back tears, determined to not cry in front of him.

"Do...do ya know where she went?" She finally asks after a few moments of silence.

"Nah, she didn't say."

He's lying. Jeanette huffs and turns away from him, arms crossed. Enid was going to be the one redeeming factor of today, and now she's been ripped out from under her. Go fucking figure.

"Why are you so obsessed with Enid anyway?" Carl asks after a few more minutes of tense silence.

"I like her?"

"I do too, but it's like yer in love with her or somethin'."

"Maybe I do," she counters quietly, mindful of her father's wandering ears.

"Oh." Then, "Wait, what?"

Jeanette's head whips back to Carl, and she stares at him, mouth parted in disbelief. "Wh—what do you mean, 'what?'"

He just stares at her, looking at her like he's trying to figure something out. Her hand slaps over her mouth.

Shaking with held-back laughter, she manages to choke out, "Carl—do...do you know what a lesbian is?"

He turns bright red. "N-no."

She loses it. "Oh my god," she wheezes out. "Look—so ya know how there are guys who like guys? Well, it's like that with girls too. It's called being a lesbian. There are plenty of lesbians who prefer to just say their gay too since it's kinda an umbrella term. I say I'm both interchangeably. Of course, there are nonbinary lesbians too but I'm not gonna get into the gender spectrum with ya today, yer already takin' a lot in and I don't wanna overwhelm ya."

He's redder than a firetruck. "Oh, like Tara," she hears him mutter to himself.

"No idea who that is, but whatever helps ya." Leaning forward to whisper in his ear, she adds, "How the hell do you know what being gay is but not a lesbian?"

If possible, he turns even redder. "No-no one ever told me!"

"Never thought I'd say it, but I've found a childhood worse than mine."