IV

"Do you think in fifty years kids are gonna be asking us about now?"

Jeanette's friend looks at her. "What?"

"I mean," she explains, "in like, fifty years when we're old and gray an' wrinkly, do you think our grandchildren are gonna ask about what it was like living through the fall and stuff?"

He blinks. "Oh, yeah, definitely. Why are you asking?"

"Because I have to ask my father about the Cold War."

"Isn't your father like in his late forties?" Eli, one of her other friends, asks. "We're still in the beginning, he's a bit late for that."

"Whatever. I think this project is dumb anyway. There's like...five old people left in the world."

"I can hear you, you know," Julia says.

"I know," Jeanette counters. "It's called constructive criticism, take it."

Their teacher just sighs.

"Anyway, what was the stuff in the bombs the Russians were making made of?"

"You're interested in bombs? That's jarring out of context," Nate teases.

"I need to know for my flashcards!" Jeanette defends.

He huffs. "Alright, Jesus. They developed hydrogen aerial bombs, AKA thermonuclear."

"The Russian army brat knows that? That's jarring out of context," she counters. He rolls his eyes.

She clears her throat. "Anyways, have a girlfriend yet?"

He exhales. "Nope, no luck yet."

"Yes." Jeanette pumps her fist in victory. "I might actually beat you to gettin' laid. Congrats Nate, yer not homophobic today."

Her friends look at her curiously.

"Wait," Eli starts, "are you saying that you actually have a..."

"No, well, maybe, it's—" her eyes wander towards a certain someone, and she trails off. "Can—can we discuss this somewhere else?"

They follow her gaze. "Yeah, we're pretty much done for the day anyway."

Getting up, Eli calls out, "Hey Julia, we're goin' up to the roof! See you Monday," and they head up.

"So, you maybe have a girlfriend?" He asks once they're up there.

She shrugs. "Yeah, it's like, a work in progress."

Eligasps. "Oh my God, Jeanette. Who is she, how'd you meet?"

"Her name's Enid, an' we met in Alexandria."