• Tale of Three Tails •

A cloudy day calls for an activity. Whatever it may be, it would at least be a decent experience for everyone. The scent of freshly cut grass and the easy weekend day supports that idea—or one could just laze around.

To Sweetie, it was more or less an opportunity for a change. A small one just for herself and maybe for someone else as well.

"Ugh, peasant clothings." She grumbled every minute she was pulling the heavy and dirty coat of light, dirty brown linen to fit on her body. The long, loose sleeves reached past her forepaws. The bottom side of the coat hung down to her ankles, tail fitting through the small hole included on the outfit.

Looking at herself in the wall mirror to her side, her mouth parted for a second. She observed her clothes, recognizing the allowance of the big coat from her small self through the lack of creases and how the sleeves brushed against the ground. She moved closer to the glass and lifted a forepaw up her cheek, a single thought coming into her mind.

"I look absolutely ridiculous, why did I convince myself to do this? I could've worn some appropriate clothing of the modern world but our closets got left behind in their time period."

Her ears caught the sound of sheets shifting, turning her head towards the bed. A pup was looking at her despite his head still on the pillow, his eyes wet and slightly red.

"You don't have to do this, Sweetie. I can get the medicine myself, or you could just ask the princess to deliver some. You already got dirt on your forehead."

"As I said before—" Sweetie flicked the specks of brown off herself— "I'm doing this because I feel like I need to. There's something that's eating me inside, no thanks to your determination to stay up late just for me. Besides, the medicine in the castle is reserved for the workers."

Sweetie noticed Chase wiping away a fever tear. Upon their eyes connecting, the shepherd curled his lower knees to his stomach, as if trying to become smaller as he turned his eyes down.

"Why do you fear showing your tears?"

Chase narrowed his tired eyelids. "I'm a male, I can't show my emotions in front of anyone. That's an unwritten rule."

The terrier merely rolled her eyes, unclear of her actions if she was annoyed or felt pity from what Chase felt. However, it was none of the above.

"Just because you're a traffic cop doesn't mean you should obey every rule, and the same goes for being a male. You should be allowed to freely express what you feel. Emotions don't make you weak. In this household, you are more than welcome to break down if you so wish."

The two stared for a moment, trying to understand each other in that silent atmosphere, unable to weigh towards the heavier or lighter side, until Sweetie continued.

"Frankly, I like it when pups like you act like this. It assures me that even the brave aren't invulnerable, and that's… actually completely okay in my book."

The open window ran a small beam of sunshine into the bedroom, bouncing off the mirror to shine at the blanket of the smiling shepherd. He merely returned the expression to Sweetie, as she was glad herself. They understood each other.

"Anyway," she stuttered, "I shall head off. There's only so much time in a day. Get some rest and eat the meals delivered here."

"But—"

"I'll stay safe, you don't have to tell me over and over again." With a hmph, the Terrier walked out the door, leaving the sick guardian to his rest.

Her eyesight on the ground as she walked out the castle and into town, Sweetie was occupied with a dreadful sense of regret. Although temporarily at peace, she knew she had to somehow reassure Claw that she was fine. That roar in the fiery night was one she wouldn't forget. She also had the princess to deal with, considering her decision about the situation negatively affected both individuals whom she decided to earn closure with. If only they could be friends.