Marryn

Only two days later, the boy was on the news.

Apparently, he was admitted to a hospital, and he'd been there ever since. He wasn't in critical condition, but he wasn't healthy enough to go home.

Marryn, who was listening to her mother and sister talking about the event, shuddered. She remembered how he toppled over the table. She shook her head, attempting to be rid the horrible memories.

Focusing her attention on her magick, she decided to pull a couple tarot cards. She hoped they would provide more incite about her soon to be grimoire.

She repeated the steps same as before, feeling a bit of déjà vu overtake her.

Cleanse cleanse, knock knock, shuffle shuffle, pull pull.

7 of cups and 10 of wands.

Flipping through her tarot dictionary, she found her cards. She read the meanings aloud in hopes they would sink in her brain's memory.

"7 of cups... choices, illusion..." Marryn frowned. Choices? What choices? She had been under the impression that she was receiving her grandmother's grimoire regardless of her opinion. "10 of wands... responsibility, burden." Thankfully, that was more fathomable. Having her grandmother's grimoire would be a responsibility, and a big burden.

She wanted to consult Dariyan about it, but she was hanging out with her friends, probably happier and less confused than Marryn was. Marryn's mother wouldn't be much help, despite her mom always expressing that she was there for her. And Marryn's grandmother would definitely refuse to explain the meaning behind gifting her grimoire.

With a heavy sigh, Marryn leaned on the side of her bed. She was more confused and lost than she'd been in a while.

Even with all the different methods of divination, she was still completely disoriented. Why was she getting her grandmother's grimoire? And why, when she thought about it, was she always met with an overwhelming feeling of dread?

*

A couple weeks later, Marryn's hands were holding a very old, very dirty, very knowledge-filled grimoire. Although she was excited to look through the ancient book, she still felt apprehensive about it. What did her grandma know that Marryn didn't? Why was Marryn the choice of recipient, and not Dariyan, or Marryn's mother?

"Please be gentle with 'er, dear. This grimoire helped my mother, my mother's mother, and her mother with many many spells. It shall be yours." Marryn looked into the eyes of the aged woman. "Why is this mine?" she hissed, speaking a bit too aggressively than she meant.

Her grandmother flinched, looking taken aback. "You should be grateful! You spoiled brat!" Marryn recoiled at the sudden anguish in her tone. "I- I'm so sorry! I didn't mean to sound ungrateful! I am very. I am simply confused as to why this isn't Mother's?" Marryn forced her manipulative puppy eyes. Maybe they would persuade her grandmother to tell her something.

"Alas, I am sorry myself. My age is getting to me, unfortunately. Regrettably, I am unable to explain why this was given to you instead of my daughter." Marryn was dumbfounded. "Aren't you the person who chose to give it to me?"

Her grandmother's gaze flicked down to the floor. She just sighed, leaving Marryn's question unanswered.

Before leaving the room, she turned and muttered to her grandchild, "You will find out why, my dear one. For I have had a vision."